Maple Tree Seeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
So I put my baby Sullies outside yesterday, and I hear this "CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH". I was wondering where the hell it was coming from. Well it turned out that those helicopter looking Maple Tree seeds were falling from the sky & into my enclosure. They were chowing down on them like they were manna from Heaven! Anyone know if they're okay for them? Thanks!

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
hahahaha!!! I was wondering the same thing myself. i wanted to put the actual leaves in the indoor enclosure for Ava to hide in.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Once in a while I give my baby sulcatas sugar maple leaves to eat. They will nibble on them as long as they're mixed with other greens.

blafiriravt said:
hahahaha!!! I was wondering the same thing myself. i wanted to put the actual leaves in the indoor enclosure for Ava to hide in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey Anthony....I am on my phone and not able to figure how the heck to attach LOL...but it totally depends on what species of maple tree.... if you go to www.tortoisetable.org and type in maple tree you will find info on Acer Maple as well as the Red Maple...the Acer is ok to feed in moderation to once in awhile preferably while leaves are still viable...however the red maple has some bad news for livestock, dogs and horses but nothing directly with tortoise but because the red maple does all the bad stuff to dog livestock and horses the site suggests not taking the chance with red maple.....other sites indicate sugar maple and acer maple appear aok still :D

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks Ange. Yup, these are good old Sugar Maples.

ascott said:
Hey Anthony....I am on my phone and not able to figure how the heck to attach LOL...but it totally depends on what species of maple tree.... if you go to www.tortoisetable.org and type in maple tree you will find info on Acer Maple as well as the Red Maple...the Acer is ok to feed in moderation to once in awhile preferably while leaves are still viable...however the red maple has some bad news for livestock, dogs and horses but nothing directly with tortoise but because the red maple does all the bad stuff to dog livestock and horses the site suggests not taking the chance with red maple.....other sites indicate sugar maple and acer maple appear aok still :D

Status
Not open for further replies.