Marginated cage

alexksquared

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello all,

I am looking into getting a marginated tortoise, and the first set is building a cage (woodworking is a second hobby). I have attached a preview of it in a CAD file/pic. Please note that the cage is 5'x3'x2' (give or take). And that the front side (not shown) will be able to open. The tortoise would be around 6 months old. I am willing to build another when they out grow it. Now my questions are:

- Do you recommend open top or closed? I know that if it is closed, you are able to control the heat better along with the actual humidity. But I am not sure if there is a special reason as to why people love the open top.
-Is the height okay (if closed top)? The top will be be able to have multiple light(s) and heater(s) attached to it. The distance would roughly be 13" between the bottom of the lights and the cage flooring.
-I have a little area (the far left corner) where I have blocked out the lighting. That way they can stay in the dark when they want to. Or just to stay cool. Any opinions on that?
-I am also going to be putting a light foam around the edges to keep the heat in (if it will be an enclosed tank) to keep the heat and humidity in. Does that run the risk of not letting air in there? Or is the foam overkill in trying to control it?

Any advice or wisdom on how you set up your cages will be great. Or if you just wanna share your marginated pictures haha.

Attachments

• cage pic.PNG
    cage pic.PNG
    33.7 KB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can make it bigger, I would do that.
Closed
2' high with 4" of substrate - that should be high enough
blocked light ok
there's enough air exchange. You don't have to worry about that.

alexksquared

Cleveland, Ohio
If you can make it bigger, I would do that.
Closed
2' high with 4" of substrate - that should be high enough
blocked light ok
there's enough air exchange. You don't have to worry about that.

Thank you. I'm gonna change it to 6x3x2. I am gonna make it wider once I get my house (apartment for now).

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The height allows for proper UVB bulb location. Awesome designing- Doing it smart with cage first then animal!

alexksquared

Cleveland, Ohio
The height allows for proper UVB bulb location. Awesome designing- Doing it smart with cage first then animal!

Thank you. You call it smart. I call it common sense. I did the same thing with my bearded dragon. I will have to adjust it here and there for the actual lighting, and maybe some items inside. But I personally like to build the cage and set everything up and have it running roughly a week to see how it holds/works. That way I know everything is working how it is supposed to be. Like I want the tortoise to fit in perfectly.

janec727

New Jersey
Woodworking is a hobby, and you have a Marginated tortoise, eh? We have a 2 month old Marginated ourselves who will inevitably outgrow his current indoor mini-greenhouse before he’s big enough to live outdoors. I am not a handy woodworker, myself. Writing only to warn you, don’t be surprised if I DM you one of these days to inquire further on this [emoji1]