Material Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

reh1966

5 Year Member
I was wondering what is the largest size enclosure you could make with one sheet of 4'X8' plywood. What I am trying to do is maximize the size without getting into additional plywood. Obviously I will have to buy other materials so I am only focusing on the "box" for this question.

What I have come up with is an enclosure that would be 32"x48". That would leave enough for the walls to be 16" pre finished. I am thinking that after assembly the wall height could still be around 13.75" tall which should be tall enough. If all my math is correct that would yield an enclosure of 10.66 sq ft.

If someone has a better idea than the above, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

Rex

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
How tall do you need the sides?
You can get a 76x28 enclosure with 10" sides out of one sheet of plywood. If the sides are to short you could just cap them with 1x3... 14.7 sqft

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
You could leave the 4x8 sheet intact.. And buy 3- 8 ft 2x12 for the sides..

And use L brackets to secure the corners from sliding.. That way if you ever need to pen them up out side you can separate the walls from the floor by just lifting it up..and when you bring them in you can slide the walls back into the L brackets

reh1966

5 Year Member
I didn't think about the running a cap. I have a russian tortoise so with the substrate, and the cap, would the 10" sides be enough?

Rex

68merc said:
How tall do you need the sides?
You can get a 76x28 enclosure with 10" sides out of one sheet of plywood. If the sides are to short you could just cap them with 1x3... 14.7 sqft

reh1966

5 Year Member
Tony,

Thanks, that never even occured to me.

Tony the tank said:
You could leave the 4x8 sheet intact.. And buy 3- 8 ft 2x12 for the sides..

And use L brackets to secure the corners from sliding.. That way if you ever need to pen them up out side you can separate the walls from the floor by just lifting it up..and when you bring them in you can slide the walls back into the L brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.