Tort table too heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So I built a custom tort table last summer, and love it, but just moved and it took 4 adult men to carry it! Its made of plywood and lumber, and I just couldn't imagine moving it again. One thing that probably could have helped would be wheels on the bottom, but I still had to carry that thing upstairs...

Anyone have any ideas on material that is rot resistant (my plywood was marine) but is light? The enclosure is for redfoots, so I also don't want to loose humidity with some mesh setup... I need ideas for the future...

(Anyone built one entirely of aquarium materials? Cheap places for that? Large kids? (like 18-20 sq ft minimum))

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I made my table out of plywood and lumber like you, but made it in two pieces. The top table part and then the leg frame . It is 6'x3' with 16" sides and I lifted it by myself without too much trouble. I did this not so much for the weight, but because my house has 32" doors and it would not fit through them as one piece. The top fits over the leg frame with about an inch gap all around then is held together with a strip of plywood screwed to both. It makes it very secure no wobble at all. This 2 piece approach might be a good way to go. You would have the same table setup you do now, but with a more manageable weight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cfr200:

Thanks for that. It sounds like it might be more practical.

Welcome to the forum!!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Thanks for the advice :) yeah I think mine is just overly enforced with two-by-fours... I tend to build earthquake proof things lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Besides the Vision and Waterland tubs there are some cool plastic stock tanks. Still pretty heavy, but ready to go and they come very large. I'm comparing prices for the one I want to buy 6-12 months from now. Looking at 16-24 sq ft to upgrade from 8 sq ft to spoil my shell baby. Thinking of spray painting the outside silver to make it look cool as they are rather ugly. I didn't like the Waterland 15.5 sq ft one because its only 14 inches high (Medium Land Enclosure). Otherwise I'd really consider it. I think the main way to get the cost down is to not pay for shipping, because for a lot of these huge tubs they have to ship them freight so it's about the same for shipping as the tub. Hoping to talk to a local feed store and see what they can order for me. I'm kinda sick of the wood look and we didn't make it that sturdy, so that is why we want to go plastic this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.