Building Tortoise Table Number Two!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
We're finally on to our Russian enclosure upgrades! Here's is the thread for Steve's first enclosure my husband and I built (after Steve lived in that dreadful glass tank): http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/steves-new-enclosure-the-first-one-ive-built.80648/ We have since re-painted his bedroom (yes, Steve's bedroom) from a light yellow to bright green and blue.

Right now we're building a frame of 2-by-4s that will support the tortoise table. For the table itself, we're planning on using a VOC-free plywood base and maybe the same material for the walls as well. The inside corners of the table will be patched with fiberglass, and—although it's expensive—we're hoping to use Pond Armor to coat the inside of the table. I always prefer the healthiest options for my little tort assuming I can cover the fee! Once we get the supporting frame together, I can start taking some photos for the thread.

Feel free to share any comments/suggestions you have with these materials. :) Thanks in advance!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Here is Steve's room earlier today. Yesterday, hubby cut some 2x4s to lay out the supporting frame of the table, and those are laying on the floor in the picture next to Steve's current table. We moved it back from under the window, which is where his new enclosure will be, so he will still get some sunlight.

DSC01153.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The frame for the new enclosure is almost complete. It will be in an L shape, which will allow me to reach entirely across to the back walls of the enclosure. As you can see, it's a bit bigger than the old tort table. :p This way I should be able to add some plants as well as new, brighter lights. Steve should love having more space.

DSC01156.jpg

The corner of the L will be where the green and blue walls meet, maximizing the enclosure space.

DSC01157.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Cant wait to see the end results ! By the end of fall I should have a very long tortoise table for my russians also!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Wow! Do you rent your hubby out? Lolol
I know; he's having a great time building! :) The supporting frame is completed (and he vacuumed for me!). There is a space at the corner of the L where I can't reach, so it may become a small "garden" space; not sure yet. Most of this bottom area will be open, so we won't be covering up that floor vent, and I will also have a small cupboard to store Mazuri and other tort supplies.

DSC01169.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Most of the enclosure's floor is attached now. Hubby is working on getting the walls up. You can see Steve will have a sunny side and a shady side to choose from. To save a few bucks, we opted for the plain pine plywood instead as the off-gassing is negligible.

DSC01173.jpg

AmberD

Ontario
Thank you for posting. My husband and I plan on making a similar L shape when we upgrade. This gives me many new ideas! Great job!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Looking forward to the finish table:tort:;)

daniellenc

Maryland
That is gorgeous!!!! I am good at putting things together with instructions but yeah that's about it. Hubby makes me do the assembling here so he's no help either, lol. However, pretty soon I'll have to learn so I've been searching all enclosure threads for ideas hehe. Can't wait to see it finished.

Gary Gerrard

Thats a realy good size what wood are use using? Iam going to be making my 1st one very soon i have purchased a smallish one for now to get me through the next few weeks dnt get my 1st tortoise for another week or two so just wana get started before making a new tabke looking at doing a 4ft by 3ft but just need a little advice on the wood i would use and do i need to water proof it or could i just put pond tarp all the way around? Realy appreciate any suggestions

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Many thanks for all the wonderful replies! :D We used just pine plywood, 1/2'' thickness, for the walls and floors of the enclosure. I will have to post some actual measurements of the table soon too...

Hubby used Titebond III Ultimate—a VOC-free, non-toxic, and waterproof wood glue—to seal the cracks between the boards. He then put on the first layer of Pond Armor but felt like more was needed, so he bought a second kit and will probably apply it sometime this weekend. Amazon actually had the same price as Home Depot. It didn't smell too horrific or anything; I was surprised. Unlike my husband, I've never worked with epoxy before, so this was a new experience to me.

epoxy1.jpg

The slick, smooth surface reminds me of an air hockey table.

epoxy2.jpg

bandibh

5 Year Member
Thats a realy good size what wood are use using? Iam going to be making my 1st one very soon i have purchased a smallish one for now to get me through the next few weeks dnt get my 1st tortoise for another week or two so just wana get started before making a new tabke looking at doing a 4ft by 3ft but just need a little advice on the wood i would use and do i need to water proof it or could i just put pond tarp all the way around? Realy appreciate any suggestions

If you look at our previous table in one of the first posts you can see what we did which was to put a plastic liner all the way around, our only problem is in the corners little Steve gets his claws into it and tries to climb out and over the top. Sometimes he tries to sleep back there to if he can find a way in.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
If you look at our previous table in one of the first posts you can see what we did which was to put a plastic liner all the way around, our only problem is in the corners little Steve gets his claws into it and tries to climb out and over the top. Sometimes he tries to sleep back there to if he can find a way in.
Thank you, hubby! :D

Epoxy is finished now. The next steps are getting the lighting worked out, capping off the corners, and designing the inside of the enclosure; that sort of thing. Then we'll add some cabinets underneath somewhere. Steve should be moving in very soon!

epoxy3.jpg

Gary Gerrard

Thank you, hubby! :D

Epoxy is finished now. The next steps are getting the lighting worked out, capping off the corners, and designing the inside of the enclosure; that sort of thing. Then we'll add some cabinets underneath somewhere. Steve should be moving in very soon!

View attachment 210635

This looks realy good may have to use this for my first table i build got a 48 by 19 for a temp one so dnt wana keep that too long want to make a good size one so last a few years rather than making a small then having to remake ecer year or so

xirxes

I'm in the Pond industry, and Pond shield Pond armor is one of the most durable finishes around. Outside under full submersion and the elements that stuff has 20 year guarantee.

You will reap the rewards of not sparing the expense here, NOTHING will get through that!

Well done.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm in the Pond industry, and Pond shield Pond armor is one of the most durable finishes around. Outside under full submersion and the elements that stuff has 20 year guarantee.

You will reap the rewards of not sparing the expense here, NOTHING will get through that!

Well done.
I thought about possibly using this in my tortoise enclosure. And also in my chicken coop. But I am worried that my Russian tortoise would scratch it off. They dig like crazy. Have you had this problem? Do you have Russians?