Mating tortoises

Lennart

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
I have problem with my two redfoots. I got them when they were very young so I did not know their sex by then. Now one of them turns out to be a male. The other one I am not sure. Recently I found the male doing his trick on the other tortoise, including all the weird noises. The other doesn't really seem to mind and I don't see any signs of aggression (biting etc.).
Today the male was really in a good mood and was mating the other tortoise constantly. I put them apart for a while but afterwards he started again. I am a bit worried because they haven't reached the size to become fully sexual matured and I am not really able to separate them for a longer time. What should I do?

Torts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
How large are these tortoises? Most likely it's a dominance issue. In which case permanent separation would be best for both tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With only one possibly female, you will need to house them apart or the male will pester her to illness or death. If they are still two young, she could have a hard time passing the eggs which could also make her very ill or dead or a make you a huge vet bill.
If they both happen to be males, the same stands true as the one will bully the other into illness or death.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Our adult male & female mate for several hours a day, which has gone on for several years with no sign of illness. So unless your "female" shows signs of being pestered, I would leave them alone. Redfoots are very social, & this is their main way of showing it. Do keep track if they switch places, though. Sexual differentiation started showing at about 8 inches on ours, & of course if one starts digging to bury eggs, then you know which is what. ;)

Ken