Maximum ambient temperature

zeus6626

Location (City and/or State)
hyderabad
Hey guys , I have two Sulcata babies housed separately . I am from India and the day temp is around 30c that is around 86F minimum ATM . In the enclosure the ambient temp is raising to 100 to 105 under the basking lamp and the ambient temp is around 92F. I am concerned if I am overheating the enclosure .

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
If the ambient temperature gets over 95F, you could consider a lower wattage basking bulb or raising the current one if possible.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
If it doesn't go above 95F I wouldn't be too worried. On option would be to use a timer that would shut of the basking lamp during the hottest parts of the day. Another would be to use a dimmer, but that is a bit more difficult.

zeus6626

hyderabad
If it doesn't go above 95F I wouldn't be too worried. On option would be to use a timer that would shut of the basking lamp during the hottest parts of the day. Another would be to use a dimmer, but that is a bit more difficult.
At the moment what I am doing is , I have put the basking bulb on a timer where it stays on for 2 hours and break for an hour. The whole setup with the ambient lighting is on a 12 hr timer 8 to 8

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I'm not sure if I can help there...
You can observe, when your tortoises bask (usually it's in the morning and in the afternoon) and turn on basking lamp and UVB lamp (if you use it) only at these intervals - maybe 1-2 hours a day overall.
Second thing to try is to increase air flow in the enclosure and spray substrate. This will temporary lower temperatures due to evaporation. Some humidity drop is expected, yet with the lamps turned off it should not result in pyramiding (and overheating is much more serious problem, anyway).

The easiest, of course, is to use room air conditioner during heat peaks.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
An ambient temp rising to 95° during the day is not a problem. I would definitely keep it from getting above 100° as a limit. Ideal temperature for ambient is in the 85°-90° range but I do not worry at all if the temperatures get well into the 90°s on a hot day.

You can put the basking light on a dimmer as suggested. In the US they sell extension cords with a dimming switch on it. You could dim your basking light with that to where it is on at a 2/3 level to help keep the temperature lower if you want. You also could put your basking light on a thermostat. Set the thermostat to about 93° and plug the basking light into that. It will then turn off your basking light when the temperature at the probe reaches 93° (or whatever you set it).