Mayo's Salad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Ever since I got Mayo, my redfoot. I've been feeding her mixed veggies and add small chunks of fruits occasionally. I only choose greens and fruits that are safely edible for torts, cut them into pieces and mix them together. I also feed her hibiscus flowers once in a while.

Then I sprinkle Repashy Superveggie supplement, I only add the supplement thrice a week. Is that okay? Or should I sprinkle them to Mayo's food daily?​

Attachments

• 5.28.12 Food.JPG
    5.28.12 Food.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.28.12 Food 2.JPG
    5.28.12 Food 2.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.28.12 Food 3.JPG
    5.28.12 Food 3.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.28.12 Eat 2.JPG
    5.28.12 Eat 2.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.28.12 Eat 3.JPG
    5.28.12 Eat 3.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.28.12 Eat.JPG
    5.28.12 Eat.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 19

Paradon

5 Year Member
Just follow the direction and you'll be fine. I sprinkle it everyday according the dosage on the direction. I have a Russian tort, though.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
if you are following a decent diet plan, then you should only have to add vitamins or mineral supplements occasionally- much like the recommendations for humans. I use a home-made vitamin, calcium, and fiber mix and add it once a week, or to a meal that I know is running a bit sub-par.

You also really don't need to bother cutting them into pieces, unless Mayo is just a few months old. Having to deal with mostly whole foods offers variety, interest, exercise, and so on to the day. You did not mention it, but you should also leave on the stems, peels, etc. when possible- not only do they often contain important nutrients- including the very important fiber- they do all of the above as well.

Good luck on your red-footed! If you are interested, I have several articles and links in the Tortoise Library, linked below.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
Paradon said:
Just follow the direction and you'll be fine. I sprinkle it everyday according the dosage on the direction. I have a Russian tort, though.

Alright, will do. Thank you, Paradon.

Madkins007 said:
if you are following a decent diet plan, then you should only have to add vitamins or mineral supplements occasionally- much like the recommendations for humans. I use a home-made vitamin, calcium, and fiber mix and add it once a week, or to a meal that I know is running a bit sub-par.

You also really don't need to bother cutting them into pieces, unless Mayo is just a few months old. Having to deal with mostly whole foods offers variety, interest, exercise, and so on to the day. You did not mention it, but you should also leave on the stems, peels, etc. when possible- not only do they often contain important nutrients- including the very important fiber- they do all of the above as well.

Good luck on your red-footed! If you are interested, I have several articles and links in the Tortoise Library, linked below.

Oh okay, I'm thinking of cutting down the vitamin/supplement from thrice a week to twice a week, just to be safe. I cut her food into pieces because she's really pampered with me, but since you've mentioned quite a few good things that are important, I won't cut her food into pieces anymore.

I took off the apple peel because I wasn't sure if it was safe for her to eat, so should I just leave the peel on and feed it to her? For the veggies, I include the stems. Maybe it just didn't show on the pictures because it wasn't that much and wasn't that long, plus it was cut into small pieces.

Thank you for those information Madkins, it was really helpful.​

Paradon

5 Year Member
Wait... I actually feed my Russian only 5 times a week and they take two days off.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Paradon said:
Wait... I actually feed my Russian only 5 times a week and they take two days off.

Why? Tortoises don't go through 2 days of starvation in every 7 in the wild?

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
Paradon said:

How come, Paradon? I feed my red-foot daily.

Paradon

5 Year Member
I think too much tends make the shell growth not as pretty, but I guess it's OK. It's not going to pyramide that badly. I see people who feed a lot of Mazuri to their redfoot tortoises the shell is not as pretty, but it's not that bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.