Mazouri feeding amount/wt gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly and roxie's mom

5 Year Member
Hello! I am new to the forum and fairly new to torts! We inherited two torts in Jan who were very stunted in growth. Since then they have gone from 8oz and 10 oz to 3# each. My husband feeds them Mazouri daily. Which I think may be too much. They get lots of other food as well. Mustard greens grasses and some fruit. The seem very healthy and happy. I am attaching before and after pics.ImageUploadedByTortForum1375087065.496518.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375087091.785130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

BK-JAY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn New York
No such thing as to much they don't over eat and they only eat when they hungry. they may have been under size before and are catching up to were they suppose to be size wise

shelly and roxie's mom

5 Year Member
Thank you! That's what I had read somewhere. We will keep giving them as much as they want. Can't believe they have tripled in size in 7 months!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lol...that you can blame on the mazuri.. mine has done the same.. if you feed mazuri daily you will see them grow. I do not suggest feeding sulcatas fruits. Below my signature are suggestions on feeding. They can graze on grasses all day long..they look really good,

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Some forum members refer to it as Crackzuri because of the way tortoises love it. The biggest concern I have found with Mazuri is that a tortoise will stop eating other foods, mostly the good stuff, and will only eat Mazuri. My sulcata did that and I had to take it away completely to get his diet corrected. I did reintrodue it to his diest and now feed it twice a week mixed with grasses, hay, leaves, cacti, and other greens. Mazuri has molasses in it. I have read it is so that it can be formed into pellets easily. I worry about the long term effects sugars will have on my tortoise's kidney. Their kidneys are not as adept as ours at processing sugars. Since I do feed Mazuri I seldom feed fruits. Again, it is because of my concern about sugars.

Status
Not open for further replies.