Newbie with wt. gain questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly and roxie's mom

5 Year Member
We were given two Sulcatas back in Jan. At that time they weighed in at 10oz and 12 oz. which is really small for their age (2 yrs) . My husband babies them and they have thrived. After 6 mo of a really good diet...greens and Mazouri they weighed in yesterday at 3lbs each! Is that too much wt gain?? Attaching before and after pics. ImageUploadedByTortForum1374760033.537756.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374760050.288661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

No, that is a natural occurrence once the tortoises have been started back on the good diet plan, with outside time and better care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The growth rate is fine and normal, but do make sure they are well hydrated with that growth rate. Mazuri tends to make them grow faster, and that is fine in the right conditions. Do you live in a humid area with lots of rainfall, or do you live in a dry area with little rainfall? No harm in soaking them a few times a week to make sure they are getting enough water.

Also, your enclosure could be better. They have outgrown it, the substrate is too dry, and they would both fare better in separate enclosures. Do they have a large outdoor enclosure for fair weather?

There is lots of sulcata info in my signature, if you feel like a little reading.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom: The picture on the left is what they looked like when they came to the OP. The picture on the right is current. (I doubt they still live in that plastic bin)

shelly and roxie's mom

5 Year Member
Lol no they were transported in the bin then my husband made then the tort table and now they have an outside area. Here are picsView attachment 50411ImageUploadedByTortForum1375087827.145797.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375087863.598569.jpg

We are in Oklahoma and it is hot but not too humid. They get showered down a few times a day....it's really funny how they come out and dance in the hose! Plus they bath in a big water dish a lot. They are seriously spoiled. Have the run of the yard at least once a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.