Mazuri couldn't wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well drove an hour and picked up a 1lbs bag of Mazuri..(didn't want to wait another week for an Internet order).. Got home threw a handful in front of Tony and he went to town..He loves the stuff..as a matter of fact he ate the entire 1lbs bag and settled into his hide..

So here is the question.. I fed it to him dry.. Should it be moist..I tried soaking a few cubes and all he did was walk by it..the nuggets he eats like he's ravenous..

How should it be fed??

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
It can be feed dry, making it moist is to make it easier for tortoises to eat it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
feed it however he will eat it,I soak mine but if he eats it dry then go for it.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I think the answer to that question depends on the size of the tortoise. My hermanns, all less than 1000 grams, don't have a clue what to do with dry Mazuri. Too big.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've heard of some feeding it dry to help keep their beak trim.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Tony is 47lbs..How much should he be fed..He ate an entire pound in one sitting... Then didn't graze.. When I brought him in he ate a head of romaine..

So how much would be OK for them to eat a day...Im just preparing for winter and don't want to overfeed.. Which I think he does now..(he poops 2-3 times a day)

Thoughts..

Also how does Mazuri keep.. Can I buy 3-4 25lbs bags and store them for the winter?

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I store my extra Mazuri in the freezer and it seems to be fine after six months. I take out a weeks worth at a time and keep it in a airtight pet food container. If you find a feed store in your area they can order it for you when you need it. My feed store takes about 10-14 days to get my special order. Now when I get to the 3 week of food left, I just make an order. It is a lot cheaper to do it like this my feed store charges $24.50 for 25lbs.

According to Mazuri you are supposed to feed 2-4% of body weight, but I do much less. That is because mine are outside and graze all day, so it is just a supplemental food.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I only feed it dry to Aladar...but I also make sure to soak him within a few hours...if it's fed dry you wanna make sure he drinks within a few hours;)

samstar

5 Year Member
Each pellet is about 1 gram or less? I feed both my Radiated's which weigh in about 800 grams, 12-15 pellets a day. Too little? If I put more, they dont finish it.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you're going to feed it dry, make sure there is plenty of water available. My big leopard (25#) eats about 1 to 1 1/2 cups dry measure per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.