Mazuri original formula vs LS formula

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have 3 Sulcata tortoises. all 3 are about 13" straight carapace length.

right now their diet consists mostly of free choice alfalfa hay and Bermuda grass hay. they also get prickly pear cactus pads every once in a while.

we just built a new house and moved. I eventually plan on planting some weeds and grasses for them but its not going to be right away. (there are several things that need done around our new 10 acre property for the other animals as well as the tortoises so we are very busy right now) when I have time, I plan on setting it up where I can plant everything on one side of their large outdoor enclosure (their enclosure is about 2,000 square feet) and have a partition wall set up so I can regulate when they have access to the plants (that way I can actually keep the plants alive) we live in the desert of southern AZ so its hard enough to grow plants and keep them alive even without tortoises demolishing them.

until then I want to add some Mazuri pellets back into their diet. I used to give them Mazuri but I just never bought another bag after the last one ran out last year. which Mazuri formula would be the best one for me to get? I have used both types in the past. they liked the taste of the original formula a little more but they had no problems eating either one before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer the original formula, but if your tortoises will also eat the old stuff, go for it. In your situation, I'd use both.

Your young and growing tortoises would benefit from more variety in the diet and more wet stuff too. How about mulberry leaves? Or some grape vine leaves? I saw lots of both of those in Tucson and Phoenix.

I typed this up for smaller sulcatas, but it applies to bigger ones too. There are tips for grass seed and things you can grow in there.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Arizona
we had some nice big grape vines and other plants for them at the old house. i was also growing a few types of grasses and a couple different tortoise seed mixes (mostly different kinds of edible weeds) in a 10' x 10' garden area that i set up just for them. i would let them have grazing time in there for a few days each week. it looked like a little forest and i was able to keep it alive by regulating the amount of time they spent in there.
i just dont have anything for them at the new place yet. our house is new construction and we havent had a chance to start planting anything yet. it probably wont be until next spring that we start working on landscaping and planting at the new place. the new place does have a few large "spineless" prickly pear plants scattered around. they are about 8+ feet tall or so. its been nice having access to that instead of the cactus pads with the large spines that i was using before we moved.

i know from experience that they will eat both types of the Mazuri food so i will probably just buy a bag of each like you said.