Mazuri Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I heard or read from somewhere that the size of mazuri has changed? Can anyone who purchases mazuri on a regular basis vouch for this? I can't find a thread on this...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I bought a bag a couple of months ago and its the same size as always. Due for a new bag soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The manufacturer was contacted about a month ago because someone was given a couple bags and the kibble was smaller than the previous bags. The manufacturer said they had changed the size of the extruder, but that the formula has not changed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Yvonne. I actually kind of like the idea of the pieces being smaller. They were only appropriate to feed dry to the giant torts before. Now maybe the mid-size torts can have some dry too.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I thought iy had gotten a little smaller! Aladar loves it moist or dry...between him and the babies, I'm using a bag every other month!

M

Maggie Cummings

IT WAS ME!!!! I did it! The kibble pieces used to be 1 1/4 but now they're just an inch so I called the company to ask why and to make sure it was the same stuff. It is...they make it smaller now because of the economy. They just made the peices smaller they didn't really take out anything...

All caps always looks like yelling in anger, but I am yelling in excitement...because it was me, I called'em...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So now I'm wondering if the bag still weighs 20lbs. A smaller kibble because of the economy? What does it save them unless they sell less for more?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
emysemys said:
So now I'm wondering if the bag still weighs 20lbs. A smaller kibble because of the economy? What does it save them unless they sell less for more?

No, it still weighs 25 #.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Same size, no change.
2crrp74.jpg

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
We have Feb 2011 manufacture dates on the bags now and the pellets seem to swell up better and larger like they use to before the change. The size of the pellet is still a bit smaller but overall an improvement from the first change in 2010. The older food after the change in 2010 when soaked would not take water all the way and you would have pieces that would still be hard. This new batch in Feb does not seem to have that issue. Anyone else notice this with food dated Feb 2011?

Making the pellets smaller just decreases the volume in each bag which makes them able to move more product for less money per pallet, would be guess about the economy remark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting that you feed them on the ground Greg. When I leave out a flake of hay for my sulcatas I always try to put it on a grassy/weedy patch kind of the way your Mazuri is there.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yes, we try to find a good spot, not sandy, and divide the red bucket among the entire adult colony several times a week during egg laying season. They sometimes pick it up with their tung, kinda like a lizard, ever seen that Tom?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, I still feed it to mine soaked and mushed on a bed of grass or weeds. I haven't tried it dry yet.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Those are some nice pictures...amazing. Truly behemoths of the tortoise world...they almost have dinosaur-like limbs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
No, I still feed it to mine soaked and mushed on a bed of grass or weeds. I haven't tried it dry yet.
:tort: If we feed younger tortoises, that is the same as we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.