Zinc Oxide
Zinc Sulfate

The Regular adds:
Ascorbic Acid
Citric Acid
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal
Ground Corn
Lecithin
Natural Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative)
Nicotinic Acid
Rosemary Extract

And the LS adds:
apple pomace
banana flavor
beta-carotene
carrageenan
dried beet pulp
dried yucca shidigera extract
flaxseed,
fructose
ground aspen,
ground brown rice
l-lysine
mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative; citric acid, ascorbic acid, rosemary extract, lecithin)
niacin
oat hulls
Primalac (Lactobacillus cultures: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifido bacterium bifidum, Streptococcus faecium, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, torula dried yeast)
sucrose
Timothy hay

Guaranteed Analysis & Nutrient information

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't know they had two kinds of tortoise diet. I am going to assume the regular is what I feed.

The LS might be better for Redfoots, and other torts that can eat more fruit. See what others say.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have not seen the LS diet yet, but looking forward to trying it out. The last 2 bags I bought are dated Sept 23. I am going to order another bag to be delivered to the store in Maryland next Friday to see if it is the new LS. It is shipped out of Richmond Va, and I have no idea what their turnover is, they may have more of the Sept 23 dated bags still in stock.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
What I have now is the 5M21. I don't see Timothy Hay list as one of the ingredients in it. I believe that the 5E5L formula does have Timothy and it was added as a source of fiber. It also has less protien and a bit more fiber than the 5M21 formula. The feeding instructions seem to have changed too. They suggest soaking the pellets as a way to acclimate the tortoise to the diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think anyone has seen the new one yet. If they have they haven't shared it here that I have seen.

We talked about it in a previous thread, but I don't know that anyone has actually used it yet.

I will be sticking to the tried and true version for as long as possible. If this diet is not good, detrimental, or deficient in some way that we are not anticipating, it could take years for it to become apparent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortwalt said:
So which one is the tried and true? The regular or LS?

There has only ever been one and its been around for 20+ years, so I don't know what the designation is. I'm out of town right now, so I can't go look at my bag.

You know, while we are talking about this, Mazuri makes a lot of diets. I always wondered if it we be good to feed any of the other diets as part of a varied tortoise diet. For example they have a "leaf eater" primate diet that we used to feed to the orangutans. I'll bet that would be a good addition to a tortoise diet, especially for people in northern climates that are frozen over for months every year. I never have looked at the specs. I have a feeling that the protein levels might scare some people away due to the incorrect old notion that protein causes pyramiding.

Anybody tried this?

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Scratch my poll vote, it is 5M21. Just told Daughter to read it to me from the bag we're sharing. She's feeding her hatchling Sulcata's it (while they eat some) they prefer greens. I'm trying to get my Boxie hatchlings to eat a bit of it and when the Adults wake up they'll be getting it a couple of times a week. They are awake today, but not eating. Just mating! Their clocks are all messed up from the heat we've had the last couple of days.

tortwalt

5 Year Member
I'm looking at buying a 25lb bag of feed, but will only need about 5lbs max. Would anyone else be interested in getting some? I could ship out in flat rate box for approx. $8-1lb $12-2lb and could do custom sizes if needed. Let me know if your interested! those prices are shipped