MBD

Annief

Location (City and/or State)
N Ireland
@Annief
It doesn't look as though your tortoise has MBD from the photos, but the angles from which they were taken are not the best for seeing it. A more definitive diagnosis could be made from a side view of the tortoise. IE, profile of the backline. If it is sunken in at the rear of the back, that would indicate MBD.

As I said, it doesn't appear to have MBD from what I can see, but a profile photo would probably confirm that it does not.

Good luck with your new little tortoise!
Other views of junior
@Annief
It doesn't look as though your tortoise has MBD from the photos, but the angles from which they were taken are not the best for seeing it. A more definitive diagnosis could be made from a side view of the tortoise. IE, profile of the backline. If it is sunken in at the rear of the back, that would indicate MBD.

As I said, it doesn't appear to have MBD from what I can see, but a profile photo would probably confirm that it does not.

Good luck with your new little tortoise!
some more photos of the little guy taken this morning. IMG_1722.jpegIMG_1721.jpegIMG_1720.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Other views of junior

some more photos of the little guy taken this morning.
I see no indication of MBD in the pictures, and have no reason to suspect it from what you've told us. I think the FB person was just ignorant and has little idea what they are talking about. That would not be unusual from FB tortoise groups. Its clear that their comment scared you, and understandably so, but this is a case of: "Don't let the ramblings of a fool bother you."

Annief

N Ireland
I see no indication of MBD in the pictures, and have no reason to suspect it from what you've told us. I think the FB person was just ignorant and has little idea what they are talking about. That would not be unusual from FB tortoise groups. Its clear that their comment scared you, and understandably so, but this is a case of: "Don't let the ramblings of a fool bother you."
It did scare me. Left me feeling very anxious that I’d be unable to take care of the wee tortoise. I see lots of rescue places ending up with tortoises and this is probably why. Know-it-alls giving out bad advice. I had wanted to buy coco coir from the start when I got him and they said not to as it’s too damp for it too. Finally got some today after the advice on here and he’s a different tortoise already!

zovick

10 Year Member!
It did scare me. Left me feeling very anxious that I’d be unable to take care of the wee tortoise. I see lots of rescue places ending up with tortoises and this is probably why. Know-it-alls giving out bad advice. I had wanted to buy coco coir from the start when I got him and they said not to as it’s too damp for it too. Finally got some today after the advice on here and he’s a different tortoise already!
I agree with Tom. Your tortoise does not have the classic depressed rear portion of the spine which is evident in tortoises with MBD.

Nonetheless, it has had a very tough time in life up till now, but it is obvious that you are going to correct that ASAP.

Best of luck with the process and thank you for being a very conscientious and caring new tortoise owner.

Annief

N Ireland
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Do you think his age is accurate, approx 7 month or would he be older?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Do you think his age is accurate, approx 7 month or would he be older?
It’s tricky to say as he could possibly be stunted, if I had to guess, I’d personally say anywhere from 1-2, maybe 3 years old, he could potentially be 7 months but he looks a bit older than that to me🙂