Me and baby Kobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibbytort7

5 Year Member
2013-09-19 10.03.37.jpgI just got my new (first tortoise ever) sulcata baby. I will be 28 on Friday and this was my birthday present from my mother. I have been a long time friend of turtles and tortoises alike. I have a 9 month old musk turtle named Geoffrey. Kobe will be a great addition to our family. Any advice anyone can give would be great! I am currently using a zoo med tortoise house for him with cypress mulch, soaking him every night or every other night for about 15 minutes. He seems to be a big fan of dandelion greens and rose pedals. I have done a lot of research but I know how misleading the web can be so I ask you great people for help to make sure I can give my Kobe the best life possible since he will most likely long outlive me!! My name is Mark by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Happy Early Birthday:D. What a great present. Congrats.
The threads at the bottom of my post are forum member Tom. The are the best way to raise a happy, healthy, smooth sulcata. Please read them.

Kobers

5 Year Member
Hey welcome and Happy Birthday. What an ace Name.. my son is called Kobe and here its a very rare name ") x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. Reading Tom's threads is the best way to learn how to take excellent care of your baby. I would recommend you soak the baby everyday, not every other day. This is because in the first year or two, it's so important to keep the baby hydrated. Besides, he'll love it. They get to poop and pee on the water, so be prepared. Congrats on your new addition to your family.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...sulcatas are neat torts...i would also soak daily, but i would try more like 20 min and if you can maybe twice daily. The more the better...humidity and hydration..along with exercise, good diet, and natural sunlight goes a long way. Never let your enclosure temps go below 80* and try to keep your humidity 80% and above. You will be good. There are many sulcata owners here. If you look up www.tortoiselibrary.com there is great info there...and congratulations on your new addition...

tibbytort7

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I am definitely going to start soaking him daily and keep a close eye on the humidity in his cage.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yep, follow Tom's words to the letter.
He's been around a long time, and "been there, done that, bought the TShirt".

I've read all his threads several times over. Catch something new each time (a lot to digest).

Warm to not, humid, and CONSISTENT. That is the mantra. I have an adult rescue, and I plan to buy (from Tom) a hatchling. So I'm slowly getting a house (closed chamber) together for it.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.