Meet Kobe

Location (City and/or State)
Southern England
Hello everyone
Over a week ago my dad decided that as well as buying a red footed tortoise, he also really liked the leopards, so after going to a reptile shop and seeing one which is actually quite pretty (as in he/she has lighter scutes) my dad bought him/her. The little one eats like a pig and was shy for the first few days but has since gained quite the little confident personality although still ducks into his/her shell if anyone looms over head. The shop said that the leopard was CB14 but that is all they know. Kobe was in with two other tortoises but they weren't as nicely marked although just as personality filled. And Kobe even decided to void his bladder on me my dad and the shop assistant which secured our decision in choosing him\her :rolleyes: lol. The tortoise is however looking rather small, I realise that they all have different growth rates and the leopard was the same size as his/her siblings however I don't know generally if many others have bigger leopards at 2 years of age. Kobe is 2.75" long and weighs 75g. I will try and add some photos later but unfortunately my computer is being really annoying and not letting me add any.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
2 years old, 75 grams and <3" long?

Ya, he's small. Most likely it had a dry start in life. Don't worry about it, just house it properly from here on out. You may not see explosive growth even after correct housing but again don't let that bother you.

At 2, my guy was 8" long and 4lbs I think. At almost 4 he's a foot long and I need to weigh him. But that's the difference when they are started properly hydrated.

Southern England
Wow!
Yeah my one is definitely small then ha ha:rolleyes: I suppose Kobe will always the little small tortoise then. My dad is started to be convinced that the shop had wrong information and that he was actually last years. We will find out soon though:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Despite the small size, the growth has been consistent and that's great! It's a good looking leopard.
If it were me, I wouldn't care about the age or size. I'd just enjoy him and take care of him well. Like I said, he'll be a big guy eventually ;) :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is a nice looking tort. Get him set up properly with temps and specially humidity and a good diet and hydration and he should grow just fine. The threads below in my post will help you set him up correctly. The sulcata ones will apply to your leopard too.

Southern England
Thankyou, he/she is a lovley little tortoise. We will phone the shop to see if they know any more about his/her age. And I see people constantly debating on humidity levels but I will spray the leopard anyway. I think we're are giving Kobe a pretty grassy healthy leaves type diet. He/she also gets soaked every two or three days and likes to climb and sit in the water bowl.