Measuring basking temperatures

Skelly

Location (City and/or State)
Kildare, Ireland
Hi, I have an exo Terra thermometer at one end and then another under the basking spot that has a probe, how long does the light need to be on for so the temperature stops rising to get an accurate reading ?
Any help is appreciated

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
Do you have a tortoise in your enclosure?
No not yet just setting up little guy arrives tomorrow iv had the light on for an hour now and it’s not going above 34 degrees Celsius and it’s reading around 25 at the opposite end

L

LasTortugasNinja

Get a laser temp gun. Been the best investment I've made in 30 years of reptile husbandry. It's sooooooooo nice to get accurate results indoors and outdoors, and also works good for checking the ol' Webber grill. :)

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
Get a laser temp gun. Been the best investment I've made in 30 years of reptile husbandry. It's sooooooooo nice to get accurate results indoors and outdoors, and also works good for checking the ol' Webber grill. :)
Iv seen quite a few posts saying to get a temp gun I’ll definitely be investing very soon, do you by any chance know how long the bulbs should be on for to get to there maximum temp ?