Measuring equipment

Shelldog

Location (City and/or State)
Midlesborough
Can anyone send links to different equipment that can measure temperature, humidity and uv that are actually reliable? The last set I got weren’t working at all and most of what I have looked at looks similar or the ones that looked good were £100 😀. Also wondering if equipment that can measure both temp and humidity is reliable or should I get equipment for both separately?
Thanks

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So to measure temp and humidity, go with digital monitors, we personally use the exo terra combo meters, they’ve worked well for us so far, I’ve also heard folks say simple digital ones you get from the hardware store work fine too(pics attached for both)
You could also look into govee’s? They’re smart meters that measure both the temp and humidity and send the readings to your phone! Idk if they work if internet goes down though so maybe have back up monitors, if going for the govee I’d get one with multiple sensors.

To measure uv, the only way is a solar meter 6.5, I’ll warn, they aren’t cheap! But definitely worth the investment! You’re from the uk like me, meaning indoor uv will always be a must, so it is kinda important to measure ideally, plus it could save you replacing expensive bulbs too soon! So it pays for itself eventually👍

I’d bet yourself a temp gun to do back up checks too🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpeg
    IMG_2218.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2219.jpeg
    IMG_2219.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1

Shelldog

Midlesborough
So to measure temp and humidity, go with digital monitors, we personally use the exo terra combo meters, they’ve worked well for us so far, I’ve also heard folks say simple digital ones you get from the hardware store work fine too(pics attached for both)
You could also look into govee’s? They’re smart meters that measure both the temp and humidity and send the readings to your phone! Idk if they work if internet goes down though so maybe have back up monitors, if going for the govee I’d get one with multiple sensors.

To measure uv, the only way is a solar meter 6.5, I’ll warn, they aren’t cheap! But definitely worth the investment! You’re from the uk like me, meaning indoor uv will always be a must, so it is kinda important to measure ideally, plus it could save you replacing expensive bulbs too soon! So it pays for itself eventually👍

I’d bet yourself a temp gun to do back up checks too🙂
If I buy an infrared temp gun and a good hygrometer do I need to buy a combo one? Or can I just buy a combo and not need another??
Thanks

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If I buy an infrared temp gun and a good hygrometer do I need to buy a combo one? Or can I just buy a combo and not need another??
Thanks
The reason I’d generally suggest having a monitor to measure your temp and humidity, along with a temp gun, is because temperature is probably one of the most important parts of keeping, so to have both a monitor and a gun, makes sure both types of the equipment is reading correctly, therefore meaning the temps are as they read.
Whereas if you just have a gun or just have a monitor, you have no way of knowing if potentially the equipment starts to malfunction or stop working, if your temps are in fact a true reading. Hopefully that makes sense, it’s a safety thing

Shelldog

Midlesborough
The reason I’d generally suggest having a monitor to measure your temp and humidity, along with a temp gun, is because temperature is probably one of the most important parts of keeping, so to have both a monitor and a gun, makes sure both types of the equipment is reading correctly, therefore meaning the temps are as they read.
Whereas if you just have a gun or just have a monitor, you have no way of knowing if potentially the equipment starts to malfunction or stop working, if your temps are in fact a true reading. Hopefully that makes sense, it’s a safety thing
Ahhhhh ok thanks for explaining

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks
Definitely no need to buy a separate hygrometer. Temperature gun and thermometer have a bit different usage and measure temperature differently:
1. Gun measures surface temperature. Quickly and less accurate (most guns are for construction works, so 3-5F off is not a big deal). For me it's most useful outdoors to check ground temperatures, tortoise shell temp and so on.
2. Thermometers measure ambient (air) temperature at spot where probe is located. They are slightly more accurate, slower heat up and cool down, yet they can have memory function (minimal temperature over 24 hours, for example). More advanced aka "smart" have historical data and smartphone alerts. In my opinion, they are more useful for indoors enclosures.

Both can be used indoors/outdoors and complement each other. A digital combometer is a good start.

Shelldog

Midlesborough
Definitely no need to buy a separate hygrometer. Temperature gun and thermometer have a bit different usage and measure temperature differently:
1. Gun measures surface temperature. Quickly and less accurate (most guns are for construction works, so 3-5F off is not a big deal). For me it's most useful outdoors to check ground temperatures, tortoise shell temp and so on.
2. Thermometers measure ambient (air) temperature at spot where probe is located. They are slightly more accurate, slower heat up and cool down, yet they can have memory function (minimal temperature over 24 hours, for example). More advanced aka "smart" have historical data and smartphone alerts. In my opinion, they are more useful for indoors enclosures.

Both can be used indoors/outdoors and complement each other. A digital combometer is a good start.
So are either of these good??

Attachments

• IMG_6432.png
    IMG_6432.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6421.png
    IMG_6421.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6433.png
    IMG_6433.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 0

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I wouldn't use those. Look at Wellington's post above. I have found that type to be the most useful and reliable.
Let me see if I can find a uk link for that kind if you think they’re better, you can tell me if they’re right