Medication help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
First of all thank you all in advance, I've read a lot of helpful information on this site. Now here is my problem. I have a baby sulcata, He has a respiratory infection, I've had him since wed. and took him to the vet yesterday. He's not terribly sick, he just has some nasal bubbles (clear and watery) and now he's squeaking a little. Vet said he's so small (70 grams) that she doesn't want to risk giving him any medication but she won't be back in for a week and I want to at least try something to help until I can take him back. So I have this tetracycline, I can't quite figure out how much to give him or even how to give it to him, it's powder and is meant to be mixed with water but I've read something about using it as drops in the nasal cavity. He's well hydrated, breathing otherwise normally and still very active and eating nonstop. If someone could just tell me how to administer this and how much I would really appreciate it. BTW, he was sick when I got him. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never used that so I don't have the answer to your question. A reptile vet should really tell you how to dose that.

I will say that that sort of "infection" can often be cleared up by solving the problem that caused it in the first place. Usually that means simply warming them up a bit. Keep the whole enclosure 85-90 day and night. Still offer a basking site of around 100 for 12 hours a day, but don't let them get cool even at night. A big debate rages on about whether humidity is good for them or not during treatment. We have a member here whose experienced tortoise vet had him keep his baby star tortoise in an incubator for a month (I think it was a month) during treatment. It worked very well for him. Most vets say to keep them dry, but that's what most books say to do with hatchlings too, and we now know that is wrong. If the appetite is still good you should be okay. Here is how I like to keep babies:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1SKnn0yhj

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Gotcha, I've been researching this for quite a while before I made my purchase. Again he was sick when he arrived, he came from tortoise shack. I've discovered this helpful little thing to help simulate his natural environment. The substrate is a Peat/sand mixture, I put a small tube, an old calcium supplement bottle with the bottom cut out, into the substrate all the way down to the bottom. Then dribble some water slowly into it and the top stays dry but when he scrapes to go to bed at night he has that little extra bit of moisture just like he would naturally. I'm just afraid that if I wait until he starts getting sluggish it's going to be too late. To be safe I'm just soaking him in it right now, just enough to slightly tint the water yellow, at least until I can find out something else. My vet won't be back for a week and she's telling me to wait it out too just because he's otherwise in good shape and too little to risk injections.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I understand your concern....have you also provided a place in which he can remain with increased temps around 85ish (not cooling off for the night) and a bit drier than you normally would house him at? I have Ca Desert Torts....and do not house the Sullies, however, they are an arid tort and are subject to RI as with my guys...during his treatments it is important for increased temps as well as the soaks you are doing (and drying him out before putting him back in his enclosure)... Good luck to you and your little guy :p

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Temps don't go below 90 in the warm side. He's eating a lot of clover and I could almost swear he gave me a dirty look when I tried to get him to eat grass. His "bed" is a half hollow log like you buy in pet shops with timothy hay plugging one end of it and of course he can scrape down to the slightly damp soil at night if he wants to. It's on the warm side as well. He is in a tank, its a low and wide tank made for reptiles. The night bulb was letting temps creep down to 80 so I'm going to leave his day bulb on until I can rig up some other means of night heat. I'm hoping that because he's stuffed himself into a pretty secure hide spot that the light won't bother him. Thank you ascott.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you able to lower his night bulb closer (without causing an issue) to allow the temp to bump ----maybe the light a little closer to where he is...I only ask this because the day bulb can disrupt his sleeping pattern and cause him stress? Perhaps you can cover some of the enclosure top to retain the heat without sending it over the top? :p

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Tried it and tried it, the lamp is really low as it is, the tank walls are low and the lamp is hanging inside instead of sitting on the top screen. I have some of the warm end covered now but I'm afraid of the humidity getting too high. I think I'm just going to have to order some better bulbs for sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rita:

I usually don't do anything about the clear, bubbly nose. It almost always goes away on its own by just raising the temperature a bit.

But if you really want to try the terramycin powder, you mix a quarter teaspoon per quart of warm water and let the baby soak in it for about a half hour. No need to try to get it up his nose. Soaking will do the trick.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would get him off the sand and try feeding him some Spring Mix salad.. its a good mixture.
Also makes ure he gets plenty of calcium... cover the enclosure with aluminum foil.. this helps keep the heat in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A couple of things: There is A LOT of conflicting info out there on the web and in books. Most of what is "out there" is old, outdated and just plain wrong. The notion that sulcatas are "desert" animals is being challenged more and more AND all of what is being discussed pertains to large juveniles and or adults, NOT babies. The fact is that NO ONE knows what the babies do in the wild. They are simply not seen in the wild until they reach 8-10" or more. Same with the CA desert tortoises here. Hardly anyone has ever seen a baby in the wild despite living there and seeing dozens of adults over many years. So studying wild conditions, above ground, is of limited benefit. What does this leave us with? It leaves us with what works, and what doesn't work, in captivity. Sadly, for the last 20 years we have all been doing a whole lot of trial and error,so we know really well what does NOT work. I've read every book I could find and scoured the internet only to usually come up with the same info that DOES NOT work. Only in the last few years have a few people started to figure this out. My care sheet that I linked you to above is a pretty good summary of what has been learned and what I have found to work for me here in Southern CA. There are variations and certainly more than one way to do it, but we are all finding that babies NEED warmth, humidity and lots of hydration, both internally and externally. All of my enclosures have tall sides and are covered as much as I can to try to hold in as much humidity as possible. I did this same thing with some CDTs, and two kinds leopard tortoise babies and also had excellent results. The results can be seen here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding#axzz1SNjLMnWk
and here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards#axzz1SNjLMnWk

I know its a lot of reading, but these threads show the opposing viewpoints as well as visual proof of what I'm telling you. A lot of people are very resistant to these new ideas, because the old, ineffective, wrong ideas have been so deeply ingrained for so long. You should see the look on the faces of long time breeders when I tell them this stuff. If they don't dismiss me immediately and walk away, they are dumbfounded by the size, health and smoothness of my babies.

Here's another related thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1SNjLMnWk

I have three new "experiments" running this year to try and improve upon last years results and learn even more. You can see them here, here and here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hatchling-Chamber#axzz1SNjLMnWk
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Experiment-3-2011#axzz1SNjLMnWk
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-VitaShell--27085#axzz1SNjLMnWk

In addition, three other forum members each have three hatchlings from the same clutch of 12 that the "Experiment #3" hatchlings are from and they are raising them in their own ways to demonstrate other ways of raising smooth, healthy hatchlings. Its an exciting time right now as we are on the leading edge of a revolution in tortoise care. There is still much to be learned, but we have come such a long way already.

Last thing: Most of us agree that sand as a substrate, even as part of a mix, is not a good idea. It can be very irritating to them and it does pose a significant impaction risk. I always avoid it.

I hope this info helps you and your baby, and I wish you many years of happiness together.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Update, The squeaking is gone, the popping isn't as loud or as frequent. I'm going to soak him again tonight before bed with the meds. Still eating great, drinking and pooping well. Got a lot of outside time today to mow a patch of my yard. He just doesn't seem to touch anything but clover and some dandelion. I haven't tried the ceramic heat emitter but I will definitely look into that. He has vitamins drops for his water, calcium powder (w/out phosphorus added) and a cuttlebone with the hard back removed.

Also, I'm going to switch the substrate to a pure, (no miracle grow or fertilizers) topsoil, and ditch the sand. Oh and he has some birdseed growing in the tank as well but ignores it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Beautiful....clover and dandelion are a great thing and let em eat it up, you can mix it up and he will be great.....

Yvonne, thank you very much for your input, I was happy to hear that I was not the only one that felt the way you expressed about the clear runny nose and the information you shared about the powder will be helpful I am sure to folks in a pinch.... :D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I've had snakes and a veiled chameleon to get an RI but it cleared right up. This is my first tortoise and I just don't want to mess it up, I've had him long enough to see how much more intelligent and clever they are. It doesn't help that my vet, though she is experienced and knowledgeable, confessed to me that she's killed 3 of her own... That really had me worried. If an actual vet couldn't get one to live after 3 tries how on earth am I supposed to do it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmmm....three of em, poor thing? Wow. However, please realize that most of us on the Forum and tortoise caretakers in general are not vets...so I don't think it would be healthy to think you can't do it just because this person, who happens to be a vet, was not successful....I think you will be fine :D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I'm so glad I stumbled on to this site. You guys are impressive, very kind and helpful.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Substrate has been changed to topsoil, planted some grass seeds as well. He's still really picky about what he eats, but eats plenty of what he likes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Feed him some Spring Mix and grape or mulberry leaves if you can get them. That info on your Vet killing 3 of her animals is really scary. It's easy enough to raise them, I do it and Tom does it so do many keepers right here on TFO...anyhow, hang out here and your guy will grow just fine...

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
He seems to be doing pretty good still has some bubbles though, He's been enjoying having his little head scratched and today I noticed he's shedding some skin. So, I guess he's growing and that's always good. Personally I think I'm doing really good with this little guy, of course with the help of everyone here. He gets outside grazing time for about 20/30 minutes then he starts pacing the edges and I bring him back inside for a drink and a nap, usually 3 or 4 times a day it's like this. He really does get pandered to and spoiled. Especially since I'm on paid vacation for the next few days.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
I believe EMYSEMYS has the best, down to earth advice on this site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.