Mee environmental parameters

SteveW

As prelude, Henslow the Mee arrived October of 2014 at a solid 50gr and has been raised with a temp gradient of 75-85F. Yesterday he was 980gr at weigh in.
My question; what are the appropriate parameters for the rapidly or rabidly growing Burmese? I ask because I have seen postings that have adults at much cooler temps. Is the expanded temp range a requirement to thrive or just something that can be handled? At what age/size is this relevant?
I offer my preemptive thanks to any and all.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
You might try putting this thread in the species specific section. I have no idea.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Mee's as opposed to Mep's come from a hotter climate. Their native range is more southern than Mep's. They can tolerate lower temperatures but it is not ideal. 75 to 85 is good. The basking spot could even be warmer as long as they have deep shade and lots of moisture.

SteveW

Mee's as opposed to Mep's come from a hotter climate. Their native range is more southern than Mep's. They can tolerate lower temperatures but it is not ideal. 75 to 85 is good. The basking spot could even be warmer as long as they have deep shade and lots of moisture.

Thanks. I've maintaining a 80-95 temp (that's the spatial gradient, not variation) out if consideration for the high moisture. I'm not sure it's needed or even preferred, but the idea of a cool moist habitat makes me concerned.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

So would you say the Mee tolerate hotter temperatures better?

On reason I have not gotten involved with this species is because my summers here are very hot and dry.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
What I've noticed is mine prefer the warmer end of the enclosure. They are frequently found basking directly under the heat lamp. My heat lamp is the hottest I found, 250 watts. They especially love basking in the water which is under the heat lamp also. So yes, I would say they tolerate hot temperatures better as long as they are provided with adequate moisture and shade. I know you've been wanting Manouria for a long time now, and I would say go for it if you can provide shade and moisture. Many people have set up the sprinkler systems which you could consider doing. We get very hot summers here in Illinois but it's more humid. Manouria are such an amazing species and worth working with.