Meet Alfie, my new baby sulcata tortoise! :)

Smile

5 Year Member
If you can catching him in the act and find out how and where he getting himself flipping over, you need to remove that object from his enclosure. may be is a stone, maybe is a log or something. I always helping them to flip them back.

And no object like that under the heat lamp that he may flip over when you are not home. I always check on them very often while they are out in the sun for sun bath. I have many baby torts that they are so active under the sun that flip themselves over
It's never under his MVB light, it always occurs where his humid hide was since he always tries to climb it. Will he be OK without it if his humidity stays in the lower 80s?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I will put something that perverting him to get up there. I had the same case for one of the hide for my baby radiated tortoise. So I put a "thing" on top of it so they cannot get up there.
029 (0).JPG 029 (1).JPG 029 (2).JPG

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello. Wonderful baby, I've read that we should keep a eye on the temp in their humid hide, cold and humid equals a sick tort I think I read. Lol. Wonderful job your doing

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Is there anyway to build up the substrate around the hide, to give it a nice low slope in all directions.. So if he wants to get on top he can just walk up there? Just a thought.

Smile

5 Year Member
Is there anyway to build up the substrate around the hide, to give it a nice low slope in all directions.. So if he wants to get on top he can just walk up there? Just a thought.
Not possible since he can just jump from the top of the humid hide without substrate built up on the entrance side of it, unfortunately.

Smile

5 Year Member
It's a little hard to see, but I finally caught him eating! :D
8bW5gC7.jpg

Is it normal for them to eat their own poop and does it do anything for them? He swallowed a mouthful of his poo today...

Smile

5 Year Member
They eat poop. Sometimes caught mine. Read its fine.
Is spot cleaning necessary then since they like eating their poop and it's OK for them? Don't know what it is, but he's eating a lot today... I haven't handled him at all today as well, so maybe my handling before was stressing him out?

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I would pick it up, but someone who knows more should answer. lol eating allot. you know if mine smells dog Poop it will run to go eat it. not good for him to eat this kind

Smile

5 Year Member
Think I figured out why my baby sulcata didn't eat much... he doesn't like to eat out of food bowls! The food that I lay out for him in his tank will be gone in a matter of hours, but the food I leave in his bowl will sit there for days. Is it OK to leave his food on the eco earth since that's what he prefers?

Smile

5 Year Member
Alfie looks great. I am glad he/she went to a great home.
Thanks Lance. He's been eating a ton lately and is more active than he used to be. He's double the size of both of the new red eared slider hatchlings that I just got combined. I can't wait until summer comes again so he can out in the real sun again. :D

Smile

5 Year Member
Pigging out after waking up from a nap. :D20141018_193455.jpg 20141018_193413.jpg 20141018_193512.jpg

Don't worry, the red eared sliders do not live in the same enclosure that he does, they're just there for an hour a day because I can't afford turtle equipment at the moment.

Smile

5 Year Member
Alfie seems to have some poop stuck in his cloaca. I do soak him occasionally and he goes to the bathroom not only when I soak him, but mostly in his cage too, and every time he comes to greet me for food I end up seeing the stuck poop... how do I go on about fixing that without hurting him? I tried cleaning it with a Q-tip but stopped shortly as I thought I was hurting him because he kept opening and closing his eyes. I can get some pics if they help, but the underside of his tail is entirely black because of the stuck feces.