Meet my hatchlings!

coltonspidey

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465096221.065805.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465096244.600278.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465096256.199079.jpg

These are my new hatchling that I ordered from Underground Reptiles and Backwater Reptiles! The Sulcata's name is Barry Allen after the flash and the Giant South African Leo is named Jessie Quick! I'm a huge flash fan! But these two have such different personalities. Barry let's me pet him and hand feed him and he is always on the move when I let him out but Jessie is very shy and always sleep so I'm hoping she will open up but I love these little guys to death. I keep them outside in separate enclosure but since it has been raining lately I put them both in a Exo Terra terrarium. I know tortoises don't like company but I rather them be together instead of being outside cold all night. Just one quick question... What wattage of bulb do I need? I use a 100 wat Mercury Vapor but I don't think it's hot enough for a basking temp. My temp/humidity gauge says its right under 80 degrees Fahrenheit and also should I keep humidity as it is? It says 80 for humidity. Thanks guys

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are too small to live outside all day. They need to be kept apart and in an 80 degree enclosure that has 80% humidity to grow healthy and smooth. Most likely the place you got them from raises them dry which isn't good. Daily warm soaks for 20-30 minutes also. They can go outside, but for a couple hours and be sure they have lots of shade and water. The 100 watt bulb should do fine, just lower it. Please read the threads at the bottom of my post.click on the titles

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, and that's not a giant South African. They have two dots per scute and freckle spotted skin. You have a babcocki which is the smaller of the two leapards

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just seen your other thread. The same advice I gave about being outside all day and not keeping them together was given to you on there also.
On that other thread, the head does seem to be a little spotted like the South Africans. However, it looks more like a babcocki. It most likely is a mix of the two.

coltonspidey

Just seen your other thread. The same advice I gave about being outside all day and not keeping them together was given to you on there also.
On that other thread, the head does seem to be a little spotted like the South Africans. However, it looks more like a babcocki. It most likely is a mix of the two.
So if it is a mix then will it grow as large a real South African

Dago ツ

Hi!

Hey! your tortoises are so amazing and beautiful, their names are so cool. Congratulations.

What do you give them for eat?
How longer is your terrarium for both?

Please, excuse me for my bad english.

I'm Dago from Mexico and I have a Sulcata and Leopard tortoises.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465107682.488762.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465107726.141837.jpg

Dago ツ

Hi again!

Excuse me, but why do you say that the tortoises don't like company?

If I keep my two tortoises together in a terrarium is a bad idea? Why?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465108429.026643.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465108484.895852.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are not social animals like dogs and humans. They are solitary creatures. In the wild, they roam huge distances meet up to mate and move on. They don't get lonely and don't need, want or particularly like company. Another tortoise is competition for food and territory. Both males and females are capable of both mental and physical bullying. You will always have a dominant tortoise and with pairs that means you have a bully and a victim.

They should be kept completely separately for them both to thrive and be healthy.

Your tortoises should be eating a range of leafy greens. Neither specirs can digest sugars properly - it causes digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally.

Please read the following TFO guides written by experts giving the most up to date information on how to care for them.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata (also applies to Leopards)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/page-10#post-1329698

Pairs
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So if it is a mix then will it grow as large a real South African
Hard to say. My guess and this is only a guess, I would say it wouldn't grow as big. Yours to me looks to have more Bab in it. I would guess it would probably grow some where in between the two. However, there are smaller and larger of both, so it's really a wait and see thing

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Given that the other one is a Sullie heading for 150lb, I would have thought the size of the Leo wasn't greatly important.

You are going to need 2 very large enclosures

coltonspidey

Hi!

Hey! your tortoises are so amazing and beautiful, their names are so cool. Congratulations.

What do you give them for eat?
How longer is your terrarium for both?

Please, excuse me for my bad english.

I'm Dago from Mexico and I have a Sulcata and Leopard tortoises.

View attachment 176340View attachment 176341
I feed my torts Mazuri tortoise food, kale or collard greens and Zilla's land turtle and tortoise food but they seem to like Zilla's the most
I'm not sure how big my terrarium is but I got outside enclosures for them which is 8x4 and I want to build them a larger one

Dago ツ

I feed my torts Mazuri tortoise food, kale or collard greens and Zilla's land turtle and tortoise food but they seem to like Zilla's the most
I'm not sure how big my terrarium is but I got outside enclosures for them which is 8x4 and I want to build them a larger one

I feed my tortortoises with Zilla's land turtle and tortoise too, but I don't make that my torts eat it.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465174001.092827.jpg

They only eats weeds and flowers, but no this aliment.

Do you put on their food some calcium? I do, I put this one:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465174148.222447.jpg