Meet my Hermann's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrchips

5 Year Member
Hi, I've been a member of the forum for a while but only picked up this pair of Herman's last evening. They are George and 'Blossom', soon to be renamed - (probably Gemima).

Blossom is on top (I think). She's 6 years old and George is 10.

I decided to go for older torts to start with as I've not had them before. Hopefully they'll breed in due course.

I've just been out and bought some Komodo Tortoise pellets but they've got dandylion in their temporary enclosure and were out on the grass earlier. How do they react to rain? My pygmy goats head straight for the shed as soon as they feel a spot of rain - do torts do the same or are they rain-hardy? Important bit of knowledge as I live in Wales!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tony:

Both tortoises look like they're very lucky that you've got them now. They need their beaks trimmed, and their shell shapes appear as if they haven't had the best husbandry.

Hermanns are great tortoises. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

mrchips

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Tony:

Both tortoises look like they're very lucky that you've got them now. They need their beaks trimmed, and their shell shapes appear as if they haven't had the best husbandry.

Hermanns are great tortoises. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Not got into beak trimming yet. How should I best go about that?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Nice looking torts! :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's best if you have someone who has done it before do it for you the first time. Then, after you've watched it done, if they ever need trimming again, you can do it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Yvonne G said:
It's best if you have someone who has done it before do it for you the first time. Then, after you've watched it done, if they ever need trimming again, you can do it.

Excellent advice!

Once trimmed, iff you'll feed them on a flat rock, they'll naturally wear their beaks and nails down. Limestone is best, as they'll also get some calcium at the same time.

Welcome to the world of the best tortoise species on Earth, and our little slice of chelonian heaven. :cool:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Terry Allan Hall said:
... Limestone is best, as they'll also get some calcium at the same time...

Really?! well, I live in limestone country! I'll have to go get some for sure! You always have great advice, Terry! Thank you!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jabuticaba said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
... Limestone is best, as they'll also get some calcium at the same time...

Really?! well, I live in limestone country! I'll have to go get some for sure! You always have great advice, Terry! Thank you!!!

Indeed, The Republic was once on the lower end of the North American Inland Sea, of which you're on the upper end, which kinda makes us neighbors. Plenty of limestone around here! :p

A nice flat limestone slab-piece makes a dandy feeding station. :cool:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Terry Allan Hall said:
Indeed, The Republic was once on the lower end of the North American Inland Sea, of which you're on the upper end, which kinda makes us neighbors. Plenty of limestone around here! :p

A nice flat limestone slab-piece makes a dandy feeding station. :cool:

The Republic, as in Texas? Or should I say Tejas?

Anyway, went and got me a couple of pieces of Tyndall limestone. :D I just had to trim Whaley's beak, so I'm hoping not to have to do it again for a long time.

Here's Darwin by her limestone slab. Whaley wouldn't pose for a picture.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376846023.056487.jpg

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.