For how long do you soak your tortoise?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I recently noticed that I've been soaking my tortoise for 1 hour every other day and I was wondering as to why we are supposed to do it for that long? Most of the time they spend trying to scape as if they've been dropped in acid. I know that they don't mind it as soon as they wake up as they are sluggish but why an hour?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only soak 20-30 minutes. If they were dehydrated or had just come from being shipped then I would do an hour.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and hatchlings I do the 20-30 minutes but twice a day until they are 3-4 months and I know they are doing really well and seen drinking on their own

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
20-30 minutes is all that is really needed for a healthy tort.. unless you have one like mine that loves soaking and does yoga poses the entire time.. yeah my tort sometimes gets hour long soaks

Mine loves soaks too! My husband was off today and she was in her outdoor enclosure and she has 3 water dishes, he said she ate a ton, went to the dish and climbed in, chilled in yoga pose and pooped, repeated same over next 3 hours.., never poos in dirty water [emoji23]

daniellenc

Maryland
I aim for thirty but need a deeper tub. Sir climb a lot can now free himself. Officially a Juvenile and growing.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I recently noticed that I've been soaking my tortoise for 1 hour every other day and I was wondering as to why we are supposed to do it for that long? Most of the time they spend trying to scape as if they've been dropped in acid. I know that they don't mind it as soon as they wake up as they are sluggish but why an hour?

What do you use to soak your tort? Mine don't scramble at all as long as they can't see out.