Meet my little dude

Judytort

Hi. Just bought my little sucalta on Sunday. Found lots of useful info on here mainly Tom's threads, thumbs up tom :)
Was told when I bought him that he was 6 months old but I don't think that's the case as he still has an egg tooth :( . Been bathing him twice a day as it's roasting in the UK at the moment and he does enjoy his baths. He's not really eating much yet but does have a wonder round his enclosure but most of the time he's in he's moist hide asleep. .
Does my enclosure look ok?
Does he look ok?

20160717_122728.jpg 20160719_141316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
His head looks huge compared to the rest of him. Mine has a bit different proportions. He looks young, dry start maybe?

Judytort

When I bought him he had a dish of shop bought salad and cucumber so I don't think he had the best start

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Is the substrate being kept damp? Are you covering the top in any way to trap humidity?

Be aware that once he starts growing he will likely outgrow that fast.

Ultimately there is no better advice anybody could give than Tom's care sheets and the archived threads on enclosures and diet.

I would link them, but linking them on my phone is a pain, and it sounds like you may have already read them. Study them, keep making adjustments, and keep us updated. The people on this site will typically give the best advice and are very helpful.

Judytort

Yep he's substrate is damp and gets sprayed daily he also gets a daily soak and a spray. The hide in there is kept damp and the cool end seems to stay damp to.

Yeah I've got a 4x 3ft tort table that he will be going in soon .

Read nearly all Tom's care sheets I think but I do keep going back to them:)

Was worried about him not eating a lot but I think he needs time to settle in and get used to the new diet.

It's definitely a change from my spur thighed !

Judytort

He only seems to come out for a wonder if I get him out his hide. Is that normal?
He's out in the morning when I get up but that's it

Judytort

Noticed his she'll looks a little dry. Increase the baths?

Attachments

• 20160719_161956.jpg
    20160719_161956.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Judytort

Strange little guy. Won't eat in his enclosure but will eat in the outdoor run

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need to change the food and water arrangements

Reptile bowls are not suitable for torts - they're a tipping hazard - replace with a terracotta plant saucer

Food should be placed on a piece of flat rock, slate or tile. Eating off this helps with beak maintenance and walking over it helps with claws.

I question the enclosure size. Your baby will grow rapidly into a 100lb bulldozer; your enclosure will rapidly be outgrown. You also need to plan for the future for a tort that cannot hibernate and will be too heavy to carry in a very few years.

You need to know the humidity level. Get a digital hygrometer to measure accurately. Raise humidity by tipping water into the substrate and giving it a good mix with your hands.

@Tom himself is the best for advice on humidity and Sulcatas

I'll post a lighting summary shortly

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from B&Q will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Judytort

Comments noted and food and water arrangements changed (see pic).
Humidity at hot end is 67 and temp is 30
. Cool end temp is 24 and humidity is 80.
This is a temporary enclosure. His 5 x 3 tortoise table is just bring finished. He has a 1 metre square run at the moment as he's so dinky. He will have the run of the whole garden when adult and the outdoor run will grow as he grows.
I'm using a Mercury vapour bulb and here in the UK it's 34 degrees at the moment during the day and night temps are not dropping below 25

Attachments

• 20160720_103437.jpg
    20160720_103437.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11

Judytort

This is the readings at the hot end right now

Attachments

• 20160720_104618.jpg
    20160720_104618.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13

Kasia

Poland
Comments noted and food and water arrangements changed (see pic).
Humidity at hot end is 67 and temp is 30
. Cool end temp is 24 and humidity is 80.
This is a temporary enclosure. His 5 x 3 tortoise table is just bring finished. He has a 1 metre square run at the moment as he's so dinky. He will have the run of the whole garden when adult and the outdoor run will grow as he grows.
I'm using a Mercury vapour bulb and here in the UK it's 34 degrees at the moment during the day and night temps are not dropping below 25
Cover his enclosure with a lid or aluminium foil - that will help keep the humidity up - you need a lil' sauna in there - 80% RH is your all over aim and you can't achive that without a cover. Best of luck and hugs for the little guy ;)

Judytort

The humidity is staying pretty constant to be honest. It's reading 80 now under the hide at the hot end and 86 in his hide at the cool end.
But thanks for the advice

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi nice to see anouther here in uk
Just keep listening to these guys/girls and they will lead you down right route