Meet my newest grand baby Wilson

Bunky

Location (City and/or State)
North Utah,
I just got peed on. I see the urites I was reading about last night. Gross. Glad it didn't all get on me. After this happened, he started going poo. IMG_20180713_102517679.jpeg

Bunky

North Utah,
Could you guys let me know like what kind he is, and maybe an age range, or like what I should and shouldn't do for him. Thank you in advance. My first time caring for a tortoise.IMG_20180713_102936026.jpegIMG_20180713_103114302.jpegIMG_20180713_103015162.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It looks to me like you have a Sulcata.. I’ll let an expert verify that here, but how did you get him? If it is a Sulcata, are you prepared for his mature size? He IS a cutie btw:)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Also, the i iceberg lettuce is not a good idea.. while your waiting on a positive species verification, go to the Sulcata forums and read those care sheets pinned to it. If I knew how to send them, I could make it easier:-( sorry!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome. I keep omnivorous torts and know know most about the Redfooted species, but just very quick question, did your son leave any baby tortoise food for this little cutie? Lettuce is not the best food for them. If you have an access to a garden where people don’t spray chemicals, you can pick some grass and weeds for him, or get some collard greens, escarole, raddicchio or dandelion greens or flowers for him to eat or any edible flowers (like the kind gourmet food stores sell for your salads) or if you have the tortoise pelleted food, soak few pellets in water till soft and offer those with the greens. You probably already know that but this baby needs to be kept WARM and humid. Never below 80F day or night. Good luck to a fellow Tortoise Grandma. I had to take over my daughter’s torts and keeping them to this day. Fell in love with them, plus I love this community of great people who are passionate about animals. Glad you have found your way here to us[emoji217]

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Pee and poo is GREAT! Means his insights are working! Now I can’t tell from the picture, but those urates should be a soft toothpaste consistency. If the feel/look gritty, more solid, it means the baby is dehydrated and you need to up the soaking

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a sulcata. Please read the caresheets and closed chamber threads under the sulcata section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have some great info for you pinned at the top of our sulcata section. Please be sure to read them because starting with your hatchling with good information is critical for his health.

daniellenc

Maryland

Bunky

North Utah,

Bunky

North Utah,
It looks to me like you have a Sulcata.. I’ll let an expert verify that here, but how did you get him? If it is a Sulcata, are you prepared for his mature size? He IS a cutie btw:)
Thank you. He is my son's baby. My son got him about a week or so before leaving for a summer job. I know nothing about tortoises. I'm a newbie trying my best with what I have.

Bunky

North Utah,
Also, the i iceberg lettuce is not a good idea.. while your waiting on a positive species verification, go to the Sulcata forums and read those care sheets pinned to it. If I knew how to send them, I could make it easier:-( sorry!
Okay. I live in Utah. Lot of rocks and dirt. Ha ha not alot of grass and what is around is surely heavily fertilized or pesticided.

Bunky

North Utah,
Hello and welcome. I keep omnivorous torts and know know most about the Redfooted species, but just very quick question, did your son leave any baby tortoise food for this little cutie? Lettuce is not the best food for them. If you have an access to a garden where people don’t spray chemicals, you can pick some grass and weeds for him, or get some collard greens, escarole, raddicchio or dandelion greens or flowers for him to eat or any edible flowers (like the kind gourmet food stores sell for your salads) or if you have the tortoise pelleted food, soak few pellets in water till soft and offer those with the greens. You probably already know that but this baby needs to be kept WARM and humid. Never below 80F day or night. Good luck to a fellow Tortoise Grandma. I had to take over my daughter’s torts and keeping them to this day. Fell in love with them, plus I love this community of great people who are passionate about animals. Glad you have found your way here to us[emoji217]
No tortoise food. Left with a store bought container of mixed greens.

Bunky

North Utah,
Pee and poo is GREAT! Means his insights are working! Now I can’t tell from the picture, but those urates should be a soft toothpaste consistency. If the feel/look gritty, more solid, it means the baby is dehydrated and you need to up the soaking
Was very grainy looking and loose. His poos are pretty solid, firm looking.

Bunky

North Utah,
Pearly, I know zero. It is pretty hot here in Utah right now. Like upper 90's to 100+ degrees in days and upper 60 but mostly 70-80 degrees at night. I spray his tank daily, or couple or three times a day with water and I have him two water dishes in there as well.

Bunky

North Utah,
We have some great info for you pinned at the top of our sulcata section. Please be sure to read them because starting with your hatchling with good information is critical for his health.
Thank you I will go study it now. I found a YouTube guy, kamp Keenan or something. He seems pretty knowledgeable and easy to understand. Are you familiar with him? What do you think about his expertise?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you I will go study it now. I found a YouTube guy, kamp Keenan or something. He seems pretty knowledgeable and easy to understand. Are you familiar with him? What do you think about his expertise?

Sadly, Kamp Kenan’s info is pretty outdated and most of it is false. Definitely just read the links I gave you in your other thread :)

Bunky

North Utah,
Sadly, Kamp Kenan’s info is pretty outdated and most of it is false. Definitely just read the links I gave you in your other thread :)
Okay. Thank you and everyone else for the help and info. A quick question for you, as far as substrate goes what about Aspen wood shaving type bedding for that? Or should I stay with the sand and soil he's in now?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Okay. Thank you and everyone else for the help and info. A quick question for you, as far as substrate goes what about Aspen wood shaving type bedding for that? Or should I stay with the sand and soil he's in now?

Actually, neither of those should be used. I would recommend fine grade orchid bark, fine grade cypress mulch, coco coir, or peat moss. Those links explain a lot, and will definitely answer a lot of your questions :)