Meet Tortman

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkmonkey

5 Year Member
Hi All!

My name is Derek and my redfoot's name is Tortman. I adopted him/her about 6 years ago. Since then he's grown about 2 inches which is why I will be building a 3'x7' enclosure soon. He LOVES digging himself deep into his mudpit while soaking in the Powersun rays! I tried to get him clean for the picture but he insisted I leave him a little dirty.:cool: After this picture, he went right back into the mudpit. :p

tortman1.jpg
tortman2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
your tortoise has pyramiding, and the beak is a little overgrown, but other than that your young one seems nice and healthy. its good that he/she is active. welcome to the forum.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cute pic's. Be careful with him always being wet. RF are more prone to shell rot then some others.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I dont keep redfoots personally but You may want to look into what you could do to stop the pyamiding of his shell. Glad to see another enthusiastic tortoise keeper!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He is really cute but I am worried about his pyramiding!
Has he always been like that?

monkmonkey

5 Year Member
Yes he has always had the pyramiding. He was a rescue that was in bad shape when I got him. Runny nose/eyes and always inside his shell. Now is outgoing and always looking for food.

Be happy for him. If it wasn't for me he would have died so please all don't be so critical.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Now that you mention that he was a rescue, its clear to everyone that its the previous owner who did not provide correct environment, UVB, diet and calcium. Lucky for the tort you rescued it and are providing it with thriving conditions.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Casseylane

5 Year Member
Thanks for the post. I'm glad you stood up for yourself. I'm sure people would post more pics if others were not so critical. I have a beautiful leopard that is pyramided, I got him like that- but I see how others respond and I keep my beautiful pics to myself.

monkmonkey

5 Year Member
If I would have known that I wouldn't have posted. Being new to this forum it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Casseylane

5 Year Member
I completely understand. And I imagine we are not alone.

I completely understand. And I imagine we are not alone.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Come. On people. We aren't Bad people we all have a lot in common we love turtles and torts so relax and let me know when you learn any thing new and its all worth it
PS just enjoy the torts :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see only friendly questions and advice given here. I don't think there is a need to judge because we ask about a certain something we see wrong. We actually do get new members that have no idea that pyramiding is not the way they are suppose to look. We ask these questions, not in judgement, but to teach and in some cases even learn. We love tortoises no matter how they look. However if we can improve upon their look and more importantly, their well being that is what we would like to do and that is what this forum is for. Never be afraid to post a question or pictures.
Also, don't be so quick to judge because we want the best for you and your tortoise.

One more thing I would like to add. There are not many members that don't own a pyramided tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You said that right . I like the rescues . I just adopted a Sulcata tort . thanks to a fellow member.
and never fell like you can't ask something. The way I see it if someone is being rude or blunt it's there way of handling the question maybe not to offend you but to help the tortoise . Sometimes it takes a person to overlook the bluntness in the good of the tort at heart.
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I read the word adopted, saw his picture and rightly assumed you were his knight in shining armor that saved him!
This is no standard "pyramiding" from lack of hydration.

Glad he loves his mud pit. :) hope you share more!

Sent from my TFOapp

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
You have the heart of gold there monkmonkey. You give mr.tortman a happy life now. Wish you two happy and healthy life always. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
He's beautiful! I met my first redfoots yesterday at the tortoise picnic. I love the species.
He looks like he's having fun in the mud...what a goof! My Sulcata loves the rain. Weirdo. LOL

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
monkmonkey said:
Yes he has always had the pyramiding. He was a rescue that was in bad shape when I got him. Runny nose/eyes and always inside his shell. Now is outgoing and always looking for foo
Be happy for him. If it wasn't for me he would have died so please all don't be so critical.

We are happy! How were we suppose to know you rescued him?? people usually tell their rescue story. We are only trying to help!! You did a great thing!! Dont be so hard on us!
:)

monkmonkey said:
If I would have known that I wouldn't have posted. Being new to this forum it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Well that was harsh!! Gee wiz! I even said he was cute! Its not like we said he was ugly!
:) :)

Casseylane said:
Thanks for the post. I'm glad you stood up for yourself. I'm sure people would post more pics if others were not so critical. I have a beautiful leopard that is pyramided, I got him like that- but I see how others respond and I keep my beautiful pics to myself.

WE LOVE RESCUE STORIES!! Please post your pics!!!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
wellington said:
I see only friendly questions and advice given here. I don't think there is a need to judge because we ask about a certain something we see wrong. We actually do get new members that have no idea that pyramiding is not the way they are suppose to look. We ask these questions, not in judgement, but to teach and in some cases even learn. We love tortoises no matter how they look. However if we can improve upon their look and more importantly, their well being that is what we would like to do and that is what this forum is for. Never be afraid to post a question or pictures.
Also, don't be so quick to judge because we want the best for you and your tortoise.

One more thing I would like to add. There are not many members that don't own a pyramided tortoise.

The critical is the eye of the observers, stating what they see. "That apple is red", seems like an observation, not a criticism to me IMO.

That tortoise is pyramided is an observation, not a criticism. It is pyramided. Six years in your care, and two inches of growth in your care seems like you have gone one step better to showing the general audience of the TFO the tortoise, were "critical thinking" shared with you, might bring you another two inches of growth with the pyramiding stopped. The past is, the past.

Look forward to all the great care advice TFO offers, and another six years of fun tortoise care, with a little less pyramiding.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.