meet walter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripdsawyer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y401/ripdsawyer/IMG_20130525_125924_324_zps87c035d0.jpg

IMG_20130525_125959_766_zps57353bf5.jpg

IMG_20130525_125924_324_zps87c035d0.jpg

And his enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love the name:) The UVB light doesn't shine through the screen right? Screen blocks most of the UVB needed. Also, looks like you may need to get the humidity up, should be 80% with temps no lower then 80.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Love the name:) The UVB light doesn't shine through the screen right? Screen blocks most of the UVB needed. Also, looks like you may need to get the humidity up, should be 80% with temps no lower then 80.

I agree. I would try to hang the UVB light from the inside, if not you will need to replace the UVB bulb more often so its getting the proper amounts. Or if you can provide regular outdoor time then you may not need one, or may not need to use one indoors as often. The tank does look dry to me, including the substrate. I would cover the top panels on foil to hold in heat and humidity, leaving cut outs for the light. Add some plants and your good to go :D

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

ripdsawyer

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yes, the uvb is sitting on the screen. I never heard anything about the screen blocking most of the uvb. Guess I'll have to figure something out. Thanks for the tip! I need my temps a little higher, waiting on second che with thermostat...that's why I'm afraid to raise the humidity right now. Its stays right at 40%. I figured that's OK til I get my temps up. Should be here today...tomorrow latest.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ripdsawyer said:
Yes, the uvb is sitting on the screen. I never heard anything about the screen blocking most of the uvb. Guess I'll have to figure something out. Thanks for the tip! I need my temps a little higher, waiting on second che with thermostat...that's why I'm afraid to raise the humidity right now. Its stays right at 40%. I figured that's OK til I get my temps up. Should be here today...tomorrow latest.

That is a good idea to wait til your temps are up. You still will want to cover the top, then your CHE can turn on/off as needed to maintain heat.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

ripdsawyer

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wouldn't covering the panels with foil cut off airflow? Any certain kind of plants?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Between opening doors for feeding and soaking, etc....there will be enough air exchange.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

ripdsawyer

5 Year Member
Ohio
No. I've got them firmly in place. That was my first concern too

ulkal

5 Year Member
Aw, so adorable, congrats.
I have succulents in my enclosure, namely Aloe Vera, Echeveria, Haworthia, but also
some fake plants. They only nibble on the succulents but they still get a bit beaten up and I have to exchange them from time to time.
Maybe some ideas:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

ripdsawyer

5 Year Member
Ohio
Awesome thanks. Might be hard for me to find a lot of these...but I'll look around.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Keep pesticides in mind ,though, when you buy them. If I remember correctly, there are some posts about how to deal with that. You can probably find them. Maybe you can self-grow some plants in small pots and put them in the enclosure and always change once they got eaten up.
Fake plants are good though, they provide sufficient hiding and structure for the enclosure, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.