Meet Zippy

AMBene

10 Year Member!
I fished my enclosure and ended up ordering a leopard from tortoise town. Zippy arrived 2/5. I soaked him well and put him in his new home. He is amazing and has already learned a routine. Lights come on at 6 am (via timer) and he comes out of his hide soon after. I put warm water in his bath and leave it in the enclosure to prevent chill. While he is soaking for 30min, I prepare his breakfast. I had been growing a variety of grasses and plants organically, so I pick a variety and supplement with spring mix. I soak 1 Mazuri tortoise biscuit and mix that all together. When he finishes his soak. Off he goes to eat. I have planted spider plant in the enclosure. Having some difficulty finding plants that can handle both the eat and humidity. Friendship plant and coreopsis did not like it a bit. Zippy is quite active and weighed 30 gms when I got him and weighed 44 this am. Is this appropriate weight gain? Going to try and add a pic.

Attachments

• DA832CE8-267C-46FA-93BF-F131248E8560.jpeg
    DA832CE8-267C-46FA-93BF-F131248E8560.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • E27D7385-A8CB-41B8-B726-E3D12E61385A.jpeg
    E27D7385-A8CB-41B8-B726-E3D12E61385A.jpeg
    898.2 KB · Views: 52

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
OMG love the name please tell me it is for our beloved Mascot from Akron U.

AMBene

10 Year Member!
LOL. From South Louisiana. Just thought it cute to name a tortoise Zippy!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That was what I was afraid of- a joke on their speediness! But beware my russian can turn and burn when he needs to! Lovely tortoise and good luck!

Chasen

Galveston
I fished my enclosure and ended up ordering a leopard from tortoise town. Zippy arrived 2/5. I soaked him well and put him in his new home. He is amazing and has already learned a routine. Lights come on at 6 am (via timer) and he comes out of his hide soon after. I put warm water in his bath and leave it in the enclosure to prevent chill. While he is soaking for 30min, I prepare his breakfast. I had been growing a variety of grasses and plants organically, so I pick a variety and supplement with spring mix. I soak 1 Mazuri tortoise biscuit and mix that all together. When he finishes his soak. Off he goes to eat. I have planted spider plant in the enclosure. Having some difficulty finding plants that can handle both the eat and humidity. Friendship plant and coreopsis did not like it a bit. Zippy is quite active and weighed 30 gms when I got him and weighed 44 this am. Is this appropriate weight gain? Going to try and add a pic.
Congrats! I'd personally love to see a pic of your planted enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks good and the diet sounds real good. Always keep food available. Babies should be able to eat all day if they wanted. Also keep the water available.
Tortoises grow at their own paces. As long as hes gaining it's a good growth. If they don't gain or lose just a touch and then go back to gaining that's normal. Constant staying the same or losing is not good.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Congrats!!! You n Zippy Let the good times Roll! [emoji6]

AMBene

10 Year Member!
Here are 2 pics of Zippy’s planted enclosure. I am adding some baby tears to it. I’m think they can handle the heat/humidity. It’s cute, he will go around and nibble on the spider plant. I had a coreopsis planted in one corner that was beautiful, but almost died from the heat and humidity. Pulled it out and have it in a pot so I can cut from it for feeds.

Attachments

• 44028669-20F4-4F22-9C61-179F8152B2CF.jpeg
    44028669-20F4-4F22-9C61-179F8152B2CF.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
  • 7BC59E22-D6DC-4E37-88E9-694426EE12CC.jpeg
    7BC59E22-D6DC-4E37-88E9-694426EE12CC.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 55

Chasen

Galveston
Here are 2 pics of Zippy’s planted enclosure. I am adding some baby tears to it. I’m think they can handle the heat/humidity. It’s cute, he will go around and nibble on the spider plant. I had a coreopsis planted in one corner that was beautiful, but almost died from the heat and humidity. Pulled it out and have it in a pot so I can cut from it for feeds.
Can I see more please? Would you take a pic of the entire enclosure? Do the front and back angle?

Flee

Atlanta, GA.
Love your enclosure. It's a cool idea. I'm working on an old chess for my buddy before I get him. Zippy is gorgeous!

AMBene

10 Year Member!
It’s been a while since I’ve been in the forum but Zippy is doing great! He/She is now 6.3oz with a smooth shell. I have filled Tom’s instructions on raising Leopard hatchlings to the T.