Meriwether (my new baby!)

Sarducci

Pictures of my new baby Russian, hatched and raised by CarolS on these forums. Meriwether is a traveler and explorer, though the baby is just getting over jetlag from the cross country journey to get to my home.

Unboxing:

unbox1.jpg unbox2.jpg unbox3.jpg unbox4.jpg

Exploring the new home:
explore tort.jpg explore tort 2.jpg meri cactus.jpg

Meriwether is quite the sleepy tort:
sleepy tort.jpg

The cats marvel at their new sibling, even if they don't understand why they can't be in the box too:
cats watch meri.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking him/her. It may be the camera angle, but it seems to be pyramiding. I would get it some humidity, and a few soaks a week. Search for Toms care sheet under the russian species section.

Sarducci

Don't think so...Meri gets baths twice a week, daily misting, and has a self-soaking terra cotta saucer in the enclosure. Carol S also sends a very comprehensive care sheet with her animals that is actually more detailed and more up to date with forum consensus than Tom's sheet! I'm well prepared to be a tort dad :)

EDIT: S/he does like to sleep buried in the substrate on the warm/dryer end instead of in the hide box, though. I will try to keep the substrate moist to be safe.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
She's definitely pyramiding, but maybe it will smooth out since your enclosure seems to be humid enough. Aside from that she's a beauty! :)

Sarducci

I will keep on top of the soaking schedule and make sure the substrate doesn't dry out too deep! Thanks for the compliments :)

Sarducci

One more, this morning after a bath and a box cleaninf, enjoying a breakfast bounty of wild dandelion and clover, chia sprouts, and sage and oregano sprigs from the herb garden.

meri breakfast.jpg

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
She's definitely a beautiful, healthy, plump baby! Your care looks fantastic, and the breeder you got her from I can tell is really passionate about their babies! :<3::)