Messy Tortoise

Barb S.

Location (City and/or State)
Crescent
Hi, I just recently became the guardian of a gorgeous 6 year old Sulcata and I could really use some advice. The gentleman that had this guy had him on a Mazuri diet, almost exclusively. He has never eaten hay and apparently the yard where he kept him over the summer was bare of plant life. I have had him for five days now and I am giving him fresh cut grass and dandelion from my yard with some Orchard grass hay cut up and mixed in. I then put some of the Mazuri on top to entice him to eat. He eats all the Mazuri first and then has been eating some of the fresh greens and is picking around the hay. I'm not too surprised by that, but I am somewhat surprised by how much waste he is producing. I'm assuming it is because of the fresh greens and extra fiber I am feeding him now, but is it normal for them to defecate several times a day? The previous owner said he would only go once a week or so while soaking, but perhaps that was due to not enough fiber in his diet? The stool isn't overly soft, but he does seem to be producing a fair amount of white material with the stool (urates?). Should I back off of the grass? Do I need to be worried?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Should be ok. And no need to back off grass.. your doing a good job improving his diet! They are grazers and lawn mowers

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi, I just recently became the guardian of a gorgeous 6 year old Sulcata and I could really use some advice. The gentleman that had this guy had him on a Mazuri diet, almost exclusively. He has never eaten hay and apparently the yard where he kept him over the summer was bare of plant life. I have had him for five days now and I am giving him fresh cut grass and dandelion from my yard with some Orchard grass hay cut up and mixed in. I then put some of the Mazuri on top to entice him to eat. He eats all the Mazuri first and then has been eating some of the fresh greens and is picking around the hay. I'm not too surprised by that, but I am somewhat surprised by how much waste he is producing. I'm assuming it is because of the fresh greens and extra fiber I am feeding him now, but is it normal for them to defecate several times a day? The previous owner said he would only go once a week or so while soaking, but perhaps that was due to not enough fiber in his diet? The stool isn't overly soft, but he does seem to be producing a fair amount of white material with the stool (urates?). Should I back off of the grass? Do I need to be worried?
Hello and welcome. As your darling eats more fresh greens and grows the messes get bigger but as YavonneG said you're improving the diet. I wish my little Russian would eat a little bit of mazzuri though just for some extra nutrition. Just in case. Best wishes.