microchipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk
:(hi does anyone have any advice, i took my 3yr herman to be microchipped today, the vet hit the vein in her leg and she bled, he glued it but im worried wether she is going to be ok i have only had her four wks

M

Maggie Cummings

Where did he inject the chip? In her leg? Everybody that I know who got a tortoise chipped got it in the neck. I got Bob's in his neck also. I'd make sure it doesn't get infected, put antibiotic ointment on it for a few days...

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
Hey Maggie, I Got Mollie Micro-chipped In Her Back Leg By Her Tail. She's Waliking On It And There Is No Blood Loss Now, As The Glue Has Dried! How Old Is Ur Tortiose? N Wat Breed Is It?
Plus How Do U Get Herman Tortoises To Eat Greens As She Seems To Only Eat Grapes, Strawberrys, Apples And Tomatoes?
Regards
Nicky

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
I'm curious, if you're tortoise was a foot under ground could you locate it with a chip reader. Or does it need to be very close to the chip.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises are species, not breeds.:) What glue was put on her? I don't think I am understanding...
Bob is a 70 pound Sulcata.
If you only fed her greens she couldn't eat anything else...doesn't that make sense?

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
KQ6AR said:
I'm curious, if you're tortoise was a foot under ground could you locate it with a chip reader. Or does it need to be very close to the chip.

KQ6AR said:

good point! havent had all the info about the chip back yet.

maggie3fan said:
Tortoises are species, not breeds.:) What glue was put on her? I don't think I am understanding...
Bob is a 70 pound Sulcata.
If you only fed her greens she couldn't eat anything else...doesn't that make sense?

hi maggie, the vet used surgical glue over the area that the chip went in, he said it would stop any infections. i not sure how much she should be eating but i dont feel its enough, i grow her food but she snubs it! then i give in and giive her fruit, not good all the time i know.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
I have a Hermann too, aren't they adorable :D
Here is a list of what you should feed to your little one
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html
You should stop feeding fruit to your little one because I am sure it is hurting his tummy plus it could give him worms or parasites.
What you could do is giving him a mix of greens (radichio, escarole, chicory, spring mix...) and mix a LITTLE quantity of fruit in it. shake everything before giving it to him. Remove a bit of fruit every week, and one day, you will find that your little one does not need his portion of fruit anymore :).
Could you talk to us about your Hermann's enclosure :)

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
thankyou, its good to get some advice as books dont tell you everything. i purchased many seed mixes from shelled warriors and they are well on there way in the greenhouse, so would be great for her to start eating some! mollies home is a 4ft table top with one end enclosed for her to sleep in, she has a fantastic 100 watt powersun all in one lamp and temp moniters. best of all is her outside enclosure it is coming on a treat, yet to find a house to go in there seen some custom made on ebay! thanks for your advice hate the idea i may be giving her tummy upset!

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
Isa said:
You are welcome :)
Do you have any pics of your little one, we love pictures :D

hi im not only new to being mollies mum im new to computers too! so have to keep nagging the kids for help lol, so im not sure how to do it sorry

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
Mollie.jpg

Heres Mollie :)

I think iv uploaded the picture, not entirely sure if i've done it correctly???

Last edited by a moderator:

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
thankyou isa, shes a darling! your be pleased to hear she hasnt had any fruit since the last time we talked and shes eating her greens! hows hermy?

mollie is doing just fine considering she had that horrible micro chip in her leg last week,i was so worried. i have now got to register her in my name using the certificate i got when i bought her not quite sure how i go about doing that does anybody know?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am soooo glad she is eating her greens, that good news :D. Hermy is doing very good, yesterday, he went in his water dish after that he walked on his food and after that he walked around in his enclosure. So when I came home I had to remove the of pieces of food in the aspen ahhh Hermy :rolleyes: lol.
How is her leg (the one with the microship)? Is she walking all right?
Sorry I can't help you with the registration, I live in Canada, the pet store did not even give me a certificate.

S

stells

Chipping in the backleg is common practice in the UK... i'm guessing you are in the uk as you are saying about changing the certificate over into your name.... if you are you need to print off this form... fill it out and send it into Animal health (DEFRA)
Download the PDF for form
http://www.defra.gov.uk/Animalhealth/Forms/formdisplay.asp?ref=FED1012

Then send too...
Wildlife Licensing and Registration Service (WLRS)
Animal Health
1/17 Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol
BS1 6EB

You have to send the original certificate in too and also proof of chipping... also write chip numbers in the description box of form... and you will need to send the fee of £25...

Hope that helps... of course if you aren't in the UK... cancel all of the above lol

nicky-mollie

5 Year Member
uk
Isa said:
I am soooo glad she is eating her greens, that good news :D. Hermy is doing very good, yesterday, he went in his water dish after that he walked on his food and after that he walked around in his enclosure. So when I came home I had to remove the of pieces of food in the aspen ahhh Hermy :rolleyes: lol.
How is her leg (the one with the microship)? Is she walking all right?
Sorry I can't help you with the registration, I live in Canada, the pet store did not even give me a certificate.

hya, yeah shes climbing on everything! no probs wiv the leg at all. i have to chase mollie around wiv her food straggled across her home too :D mollie is a somerset girl!

hello thats a great help thankyou, i have her certificate and microchip details and now i know what to do:D. we are in the uk, yeovil in somerset;)

Status
Not open for further replies.