Microclimate Prime

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
This is a really cool bit of kit, I have to say. If you're looking for something a bit more clever than a normal thermostat, IT IS FANTASTIC! It allows you to control 3 channels(multi-socket adapters can be used, as long as the total wattage does not exceed 1200), two where you can set the temperature for 8 periods over a day, set the ramp-so how long it takes to adjust the temperature- times etc. It comes with long lead probes to measure the temperature. The 3rd is a normal kind of on/off, useful for UV lights as well as basking as long as you know that the basking light won't get too hot, as well as grow lights for plants and humidifiers. You can change the times for the lights to go on and off, as well as the temperatures over the day and change when the temperatures time, mimicking seasons in the wild. Both heating and cooling systems can be used.
The below review isn't mine, but it gives a few more details on the set up:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/equipment-supplies/1003359-microclimate-prime-2-review.html

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ummmmm that's what I need pretty soon. Can it control humidity or be set up with a misting system? Have some very very sensitive species coming in fall and this would be perfect to stabilize there natural temps in captivity.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It can be set up with a misting system to turn on and off, but not control the humidity itself. I got mine for £80 a few months second-hand, the new ones are about £130. I'm talking about the 2nd version btw, not the 1st. It can be used with heating or cooling(or both) so yeah, it can stabilize temps pretty well. I love the multi-function which allows the 8 different temperatures throughout the day, and then you can set the ramp times to make a longer or shorter change. I'm using mine with tubular heaters in particular. You can place the probe anywhere you want in the enclosure, and the leads are quite long. The data(current temperature where the probe is, and how much % output the heater/cooler is on) at that time is shown on the screen display, and then it logs it so you can put it into your computer via USB cable to see the recorded data, which can be taken every 15 minutes, 30 or 60 I think. I'm getting a long USB cable so I can have the data onto my computer directly. If temperatures drop out of the 'safety zone' which you set, it will have a red flashing light and an alarm will sound, and a warning will be sent to your computer if connected. I'm happy to ship some across for you if you want as they're not available in the US looking at their website. Swell are a good company to buy from, http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rep...rmostats-555/microclimate-prime-2-357520.html , I may have a 10% discount for them as well, and could ship them across the pond to you for probably a minimal cost-separate from the plan we spoke abut via PM though, as I'm still searching for them atm. What species are they out of interest?