Milly's Growth Chart - Sharing it for comparisson

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I've been keeping a growth (weight and length) chart for 7 months now. I know all torts grow at different rates so I thought I'd share it so people can compare with their own.

I live in the UK and dont get much sun. Feed her a diet of spring mix, zoo med tortoise grass land food, cactus pads (winter diet) and all of this plus weeds and flowers in the summer.

Shes on a bed of moistened coco coir and humidity is 40% hot end - 85% cool end.

I bought Milly when she was 1 year old. So she's now 17 months. And the good news is her pyramiding seems to have stopped! Hurrayyyy.

She also seems to have spurts of growth and then stops for a while - she doesnt have continuous even growth.

I attach the pic of the growth chart. (zoom in)

milly growth chart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That is a good chart and will help you watch her growth. Don't worry about growth spurts, I think that is normal. One of mine grew really slowly and then one summer almost doubled in size. If you think the pyramiding is fading away with the new growth then you must be doing something right there. Keep up the good work.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thank you. I'm glad ive kept it, at the moment she seems to be up and down with her weight. Not sure why though. She had her last spurt when I introduced grassland food, but its eased off again now. Hoping she'll grow over summer! Im hoping it has, the new growth does seem smooth and the pyramids arent any bigger - so I think it has stopped.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Glad the pyramiding stopped! It doesn't look that bad to me to begin with. It's always nice to know when you're doing something right.

Good chart. I still have 6 months to go before I can actually compare, but it's nice to see the growth rates of different torts. I wish more people would do this. A lot of people claim to keep charts but don't actually post them.

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
I have weighed my largest two leopard torts every couple of days for the last year. I can see about uploading the excel spreadsheet. Mine seemed to grow at a very fast pace though.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
That is a great Chart I especially love the entry where you mention that she pooped on the carpet!!! lmao when a torts gotta go she's gotta go!!! bahahahaa still laughing!!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
bholmes88 said:
I have weighed my largest two leopard torts every couple of days for the last year. I can see about uploading the excel spreadsheet. Mine seemed to grow at a very fast pace though.

I think you should :) I just print-screened mine to make uploading easier. Probably the only way to do it to be honest. Would be good to see your growth rates.

Tortus said:
Glad the pyramiding stopped! It doesn't look that bad to me to begin with. It's always nice to know when you're doing something right.

Good chart. I still have 6 months to go before I can actually compare, but it's nice to see the growth rates of different torts. I wish more people would do this. A lot of people claim to keep charts but don't actually post them.

It looked really bad to me because most torts on here are UBER smooth, but now that I know it wont damage her health too much im not so bothered by the amount she has. Need to get myself back on track with soaking every other day - havent had much time recently and feel bad! (mentioning this to you because ive just read your thread about soaking)

Eloise said:
That is a great Chart I especially love the entry where you mention that she pooped on the carpet!!! lmao when a torts gotta go she's gotta go!!! bahahahaa still laughing!!

Oh nooooo! I didn't realise that was on there haha! She goes anywhere and everywhere!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
LeopardTortLover said:
It looked really bad to me because most torts on here are UBER smooth, but now that I know it wont damage her health too much im not so bothered by the amount she has. Need to get myself back on track with soaking every other day - havent had much time recently and feel bad! (mentioning this to you because ive just read your thread about soaking)

Well, some torts on here are uber smooth. But the majority I recall seeing do have a degree of pyramiding. Mine is not 100% smooth either. For the first couple months I had it in a totally open enclosure and I thought the 50%+ humidity was high enough. A couple of the scutes do have some raising, just the first black growth rings, but it's not very noticeable now. I've since added a humidifier and gone to a semi/fully closed chamber depending on the time of day. So it's been in 70-90%+ humidity for the past 4 months and all new growth has been smooth.

But to me, yours doesn't look bad at all. I would continue with the soaks just to ensure the new growth stays smooth.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Since making this thread Milly has become a Marley after I was flashed in the garden!

Today was a happy happy day in the Marley household - HE HIT 1KG! :D :D :D so happy!! Especially having a hard few months with him to begin with, trying to get him to put weight on. And now this :) I think the sun and roaming about in the garden has definitely helped him these last few weeks.

2agn8d5.jpg

17th Jan 2013

2itl85f.jpg

24th July 2013

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You finally know the gender! Yay!

Would you post some bottom and tail pics? Since you know it's male it'll help some of us make better guesses as we look at ours ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Here you go Heather, taken today. Bare it in mind he pooped right after these were taken lol.

1374761401123.jpg

1374761467411.jpg

1374761479041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.