Missing baby Tort!! Las Vegas NV

Princessx

Location (City and/or State)
Las vegas NV
I’ve been monitoring my new baby tortie in his outside enclosure and so far so great- until it wasn’t. I took a break from watching him for 30 minutes, I come back out and he’s gone! He definitely climbed out and is in the yard somewhere.. only problem is that night has fallen and my two hour search effort has come up unsuccessful. We have a huge farm property that is gated at all entry/exit points so no chance he could’ve escaped the property. I’m so concerned about him being eaten by a bird.. that’s the only animal I can think of that might be able to get him. I’ll be out in the early morning to see if he’s come out of hiding..

Does anyone have any advice or tips? I am so incredibly worried and upset. I have a feeling I’ll keep looking each day to no avail and gradually loose hope.. has this ever happened to you?

Thank you for reading, any and all help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_8545.jpeg
    IMG_8545.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2

peggy davis

5 Year Member
Arizona
I’ve been monitoring my new baby tortie in his outside enclosure and so far so great- until it wasn’t. I took a break from watching him for 30 minutes, I come back out and he’s gone! He definitely climbed out and is in the yard somewhere.. only problem is that night has fallen and my two hour search effort has come up unsuccessful. We have a huge farm property that is gated at all entry/exit points so no chance he could’ve escaped the property. I’m so concerned about him being eaten by a bird.. that’s the only animal I can think of that might be able to get him. I’ll be out in the early morning to see if he’s come out of hiding..

Does anyone have any advice or tips? I am so incredibly worried and upset. I have a feeling I’ll keep looking each day to no avail and gradually loose hope.. has this ever happened to you?

Thank you for reading, any and all help is appreciated!!
Don't despair. Just be very careful if you go out looking for him in the dark. And definately do go out at first light. I'm like you and was devastated when my Sulcata got out. He was gone for two weeks. Luckily, he is big and was spotted by a 4 wheeler in town who remembered the LOST poster I put up at the post office. Just keep looking, carefully. Just curious....does he come to you when he sees you? Like at feeding times? If so, I would make sure i could be seen and just park a lawn chair and keep my eyes peeled. Good luck and please let us know what happens? Wish I was there to help you find him. Are you in AZ?
Sorry, just realized you are in NV

Princessx

Las vegas NV
Don't despair. Just be very careful if you go out looking for him in the dark. And definately do go out at first light. I'm like you and was devastated when my Sulcata got out. He was gone for two weeks. Luckily, he is big and was spotted by a 4 wheeler in town who remembered the LOST poster I put up at the post office. Just keep looking, carefully. Just curious....does he come to you when he sees you? Like at feeding times? If so, I would make sure i could be seen and just park a lawn chair and keep my eyes peeled. Good luck and please let us know what happens? Wish I was there to help you find him. Are you in AZ?
I’m in Vegas! And I’ve been working on hand feeding him and he’s very friendly with me. Early in the morning I’ll be out searching, there’s no chance he could go off property but I am so worried about something catching him and having him as a snack 😭💔 I’m sure he’s hiding someplace now, it’s just so distressing having a pet go missing! Thank you so much for your reply and giving me hope!!

peggy davis

5 Year Member
Arizona
I’m in Vegas! And I’ve been working on hand feeding him and he’s very friendly with me. Early in the morning I’ll be out searching, there’s no chance he could go off property but I am so worried about something catching him and having him as a snack 😭💔 I’m sure he’s hiding someplace now, it’s just so distressing having a pet go missing! Thank you so much for your reply and giving me hope!!
You're doing everything you can, that's obvious...one word of caution though, fences don't hold tortoises in. That one, I learned several times over. I don't exactly know how, but they find a way, over, under or through. There is even a YouTube video of a large tortoise climbing an actual metal fence straight up! Houdini would be a good name for any one of these little guys. You'll find him. Try to get some neighbor kids to help too (young eyes)...as long as they know to be careful

Princessx

Las vegas NV
You're doing everything you can, that's obvious...one word of caution though, fences don't hold tortoises in. That one, I learned several times over. I don't exactly know how, but they find a way, over, under or through. There is even a YouTube video of a large tortoise climbing an actual metal fence straight up! Houdini would be a good name for any one of these little guys. You'll find him. Try to get some neighbor kids to help too (young eyes)...as long as they know to be careful
I’m a beginner tortie owner and it surprises me how sneaky and smart these guys are! They can definitely be escape artists!! I did some research and found that they instinctively burrow/hide and can be in any corners and crevices.. I’ll be sure to leave no rock unturned. Definitely think some kids in the neighborhood can be recruited to help with the search and rescue mission 😂🥲

I truly appreciate your replies so much during this time! I’m trying my best to keep my spirits up and definitely have a lot of hope.

peggy davis

5 Year Member
Arizona
Just thought of something.....I'm not sure how acute sulcata's olfactory senses are, but I know my Tank goes nuts when he sees (or smells) that I have strawberries for him. If you think that your little one is more or less in a designated area, maybe put some of his favorite foods out on the lawn and just wait. Perhaps one of the awesome knowledgeable members know how good they can detect odors?

Princessx

Las vegas NV
Just thought of something.....I'm not sure how acute sulcata's olfactory senses are, but I know my Tank goes nuts when he sees (or smells) that I have strawberries for him. If you think that your little one is more or less in a designated area, maybe put some of his favorite foods out on the lawn and just wait. Perhaps one of the awesome knowledgeable members know how good they can detect odors?

This is a really good idea! I know my baby loves strawberries but I have no clue how strong their sense of smell is.. I’ll definitely be out there with some treats as an incentive for him in the morning! We’ve got 5 acres of land so it might be like looking for a needle in a haystack but I am determined! I am sure he must be hiding in some bushes 🤔

I too would love for any other members to weigh in on this! I want nothing more to bring my baby back home (and hook him up with an airtag once I find him 🤣🤣)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just have a sneaking suspicion that he's still in the original pen you had him in, but hidden VERY well. Keep looking.