Missing Mediterranean (Greek) tortoise help

Wolfie1417

Location (City and/or State)
Lincolnshire
Hi all, it’s been 18 hours since our Delia escaped from our garden. I’ll detail our search and what we plan to do- if anyone has anything to add/any advice please comment on this post.

Delia escaped through the garden fence when my mum popped out to the shops yesterday. She left around half 12/1ish and I got this worried feeling, so came out into the garden around 1ish to find Delia had escaped. We searched yesterday for 5 hours in and around the garden. Neighbours have been notified. The issue is, is that we live in a wooded area with agricultural land. We don’t think she’s made it into neighbouring fields as the borders are chicken wired thankfully.

I am currently writing this at 6am, waiting for the sun to come out to see if she’ll bask.
For context about Delia- she’s in her 40s (I was wondering if older tortoises travel less distance?)

She wakes up early, and then often naps during the afternoon. She usually only wakes up when woken so hopefully she’s been sleeping somewhere and hasn’t travelled too far, considering we searched soon after she got out.

She’s a picky eater, so I don’t think she’ll come out for fresh food- but she loves her ‘pellet’ food so I’m thinking about placing a dish outside the garden.

Is there anything else we should be doing? And how far do you think she has travelled? Is she likely to appear again?

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_6069.jpeg
    IMG_6069.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4