Missing & Lost Tort's

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
So, I'm a "Lead" for our neighborhood ON NextDoor. Some one a few neighborhoods over found a 5 to 6" Sulcata.
Over the last year or two, there have been 3 Lost tort's in the area, I try to help the folks out as best I can.
I actually remember someone losing a Tort in the general vicinity that this one was found, but for the life of me,
I can NOT find the correspondence I had with these folks, kinda frustrating.
There are already folks offering to take this guy, I told the finder that they need to post fliers in the area saying "Found Tort"
I would be devastated if one of my kid's was able to escape, and someone found him or her and gave it away to JUST someone.
Instead of trying to find it's owner.
Almost like folks see Tort's different than a Lost Dog, or Lost cat. I see fliers for them, but NOT Tort's. . . Sad.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So, I'm a "Lead" for our neighborhood ON NextDoor. Some one a few neighborhoods over found a 5 to 6" Sulcata.
Over the last year or two, there have been 3 Lost tort's in the area, I try to help the folks out as best I can.
I actually remember someone losing a Tort in the general vicinity that this one was found, but for the life of me,
I can NOT find the correspondence I had with these folks, kinda frustrating.
There are already folks offering to take this guy, I told the finder that they need to post fliers in the area saying "Found Tort"
I would be devastated if one of my kid's was able to escape, and someone found him or her and gave it away to JUST someone.
Instead of trying to find it's owner.
Almost like folks see Tort's different than a Lost Dog, or Lost cat. I see fliers for them, but NOT Tort's. . . Sad.
I had never used "NextDoor" until this past April when I moved. I've seen several "is this your dog" posts. 1 lost cat & several "what kind of spider or bug is this?" No lost torts yet. I'd be ticked if a finder just gave my animal away to the first person who came along, too.

It's interesting reading about what bugs the heck out of your neighbors...or is it?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I had never used "NextDoor" until this past April when I moved. I've seen several "is this your dog" posts. 1 lost cat & several "what kind of spider or bug is this?" No lost torts yet. I'd be ticked if a finder just gave my animal away to the first person who came along, too.

It's interesting reading about what bugs the heck out of your neighbors...or is it?
So, I searched for the post that I remember, I remembered the several streets in the area. There was someone else that posted the same day that I had contacted, not sure if they were talking about the same Tort but long story short, someone else remembered, contacted the owners and were reunited after about 200 days on the lamb. It's nice to have a happy ending every once in a while.
And Re: "I'd be ticked if a finder just gave my animal away to the first person who came along, too." I made that remark and someone replied that it is the responciblity of the Owner to post a flier, more so than the finder.
BUT!, in this case it was 200+ days. I'm sure the parents of the Tort posted fliers, but for 200 day's I don't think so, by this time they never expected to find their Tort again.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

Oh, yes, as a "Lead" I get to vote thumbs up or thumbs down on a LOT of cursing, stupid posts and other dumb things. I'm sure the Mod's here could tell you stories too!
With the rain starting 2 days ago we have had many Power Pole fires, spread thorough out the neighborhoods. And we will get a dozen + individual posts asking about the power outage.
Instead of looking to see if anyone else has started a thread, they all start their own, then it just plugs up the "general" category section....(one of my pet peeve's)