Missing Russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesers2

5 Year Member
Hi

I Had my tort, lilou outside and she escaped. Can you give me any ideas where she would be? I have looked all over and cannot find her. We have tons of bushes and plants everywhere and i have looked in most of them but no luck She has been gone since Thursday and it has rained every day since. Would she come out in the rain or just stay hidden and wait it out? I am worried because I live in Iowa and its going to start getting cold outside. I think tuesday. its supposed to get down in the upper 40s. will she go into hibernation or what. I have only had her about 4 week so I'm still new to everything so any advice will help. Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Keep looking and then look some more. Look under all those bushes and clumps of flowers and grass. Look for soft feeling spots she might have dug into also. Mine like to dig in under big grass clumps and stepping stones. Usually they are not as active during the rain, unless temps are also high.

As for the cold nights that are coming, she will still come out on the warm days for awhile. When it gets even colder, yes she will dig even deeper down and hibernate. So there is still a chance if not found now, she may be found next spring.

Place lost posters around, ask neighbors, check with local animal shelters, reptile rescues, pet stores, and Vets. Put an ad in your local paper and freecycle/Craig's list.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
As everyone knows my Russian went missing for over a week and she finally turned up, she had been buried all that time.

She has since dissapeared again,

So don't give up, she may turn up.
Good luck

fgately

5 Year Member
You need to keep looking and look more dilligently. RTs are incredible at hiding right under your nose. One of my females vanished for three months after I searched over and over for her. She finally appeared after a really heavy rainfall that flooded the area she was hiding in. They are one of the smallest tort species so it is logical that they would need highly developed hiding skills to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.