Missing tortoise found after 8 months

Arthurskeeper

I'm looking for some advice. On around the 17th August last year I left my tortoise happily playing in the garden as it was a warm sunny day, when I tried to find him that evening he was nowhere to be found. To cut a long story short after months looking, I went to see my vet who told me not to panic, that Arthur will have just buried himself in one of the flower beds. I was inclined to believe this as I'd made sure my garden was fully secure and he couldn't escape.

Over the last few weeks, I've again been going out in the garden searching for him in case he made a reappearance. I'm glad to say, I've just found him safe and well (although covered in a tonne of mud). I've bathed him, cleaned him up and tried feeding him but he wont eat which is unusual for him as he usually starts eating straight away after he wakes up. Is there anything special I should be doing? Should I take him to the vet as he has hibernated outside instead of the usual controlled conditions.

Overall he looks well, there is no damage to his shell. His left nostril looks like it is slightly blocked but his eyes are clear and open. I haven't seen the inside of his mouth yet as we will not eat. I've just weighed him and he has lost about 20g in weight since August. He was 795g and is now 771g.

He is a 9 year old Hermann tortoise.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Keep him warm and well lit and warm water soak him daily for a couple of weeks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When Joe wakes, I have to soak him thoroughly twice a day for a good week. Then he does a massive wee containing a huge amount of urate and finally he starts being properly active and eating normally.

Keep going with the soaks. Make sure he's warm enough and able to bask properly. Keep an eye on his weight

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Oh MY!!! Aren't you the lucky one. I wouldn't have given up hope long ago. So, clean him up and give him a nice long soak in warmish water and hopefully he'll start eating.