Mississippi Map, possible shell rot/soft shell

Patjava30

Location (City and/or State)
Albany, New York
I have a beautiful young mississippi map turtle he's a baby only about 5 months old. He is in a 40gal aquarium, with a magnetic turtle dock, he eats exo terra turtle food and gets romaine (that he doesn't touch) and some fresh crickets and meal worms as a treat. 80 deg water temp and a basking and UVB bulb. I ordered him from turtle source (kudos to them!) I'm worried about possible shell rot on his belly it's soft and smooth, not sure if it's even a problem. I've included pics thanks for the help!
Also, my dad's step daughter has had a baby painted turtle (also male) since June, he wants to get rid of it, could my map and the painted co-habitate?

Thanks everyone!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410130755.310046.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410130767.943199.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410130778.644123.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410130786.362389.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I apologize but I don't see anything worrisome on the shell in your pics......I also would not mix species, but that is my personal feeling on the question....:)

If the water is filtered continually and the turtle is able to pull itself completely out of the water and let the shell dry out during basking then the shell should be fine....well, that is if you are also providing uv a and uv b rays....

Patjava30

Albany, New York
Thank you! He does have a spot to get out of the water, I hardly see him use it. As for UVA and UVB I bought the 'water turtle' light set up at the pet store. :)

Patjava30

Albany, New York
They are UVB bulb for sure, and no curly bulb I also have a tort so I know to steer clear of those :) thanks!