Mist King with half open 4x4 enclosure

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I was thinking about purchasing a Mist King because spraying down her enclosure is pretty tedious.

My question is, will it be effective in keeping her enclosure humid? Half of it is covered in wood, and the other half is open.

Would it be better if I bought some kind of warm humidifier for my room? Or perhaps should I close off more of her enclosure?

Picture is below.
006.JPG005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am unable to open the pictures. Maybe they are too big or it's me. 😊

I have a Mist King in 3 separate closed chamber enclosures and it is great.

What species and age are the tortoises?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have one Redfoot and I have no idea how old she is. She's about 6 inches long and her previous owner told me he bought her around 6 months ago and she's the same size.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They are nice. You could cover the open area with a piece of garden wire covered with plastic or sarah wrap. Then just lift it off when you need to do maintenance or feed her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If one of those lights is a uva/uvb then you will not want that screen between the tort and the light...the screen blocks out alot of the viable rays and makes the bulb useless.....

Also, you will need to decide how humid the overall area is as you have the enclosure set up...I mean, if you are trying to achieve higher levels of humidity then perhaps cover all of the top but leaving space for the lights/heat to enter the enclosure...

If you are good right now with the level of humidity then I would simply make the lights hang directly above the enclosure vs the screen.,...:D

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
crimson_lotus said:
So I was thinking about purchasing a Mist King because spraying down her enclosure is pretty tedious.

My question is, will it be effective in keeping her enclosure humid? Half of it is covered in wood, and the other half is open.

Would it be better if I bought some kind of warm humidifier for my room? Or perhaps should I close off more of her enclosure?

Picture is below.
I use a Mist King for my redfoots . It works quite well. They come with a good timer. It can spray from 1 to 5 times a day and you can also set the duration of the spray. It comes with a small 2 gallon bucket for a reservoir, but I have a 20 gallon tank as I am using it on a 4x22 foot tortoise table with many emitters and also a smaller tortoise table. I use clear shower curtains on the top open parts of my tables to hold in the humidity. They are cheap and easy to find. They can be trimmed to the size that you need.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you all for your feedback - I just bought a shower curtain and a mist king - my humidity went up immensely! Charlotte is a lot more active :)