Misting adult russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
I know keeping an enclosure nice and humid is good for growth in baby torts... Does this apply to 4" russians? I mist my little guys enclosure with warm water once a day before feeding, but I am not sure if this will cause a RI... But I think that only is the case when humidity + cold= RI... But is it beneficial to mist my russian everyday for dust control and possible growth?

Thanks!:tort:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I know a lot of people like misting, but I'm not a big fan of it. The reason being, either the environment can hold moisture, or it can't. I've found that when I mist, the stuff evaporates away in just a few minutes. Like you, Chase, I keep Russians in Colorado, but I don't think misting is necessary. Russians are one of those species that, as long as they have a moist substrate to provide a humid microclimate, they don't need high ambient humidity. My guys have deep, moist coco coir they can burrow into for nearly 100% relative humidity if they want, while the ambient humidity is only 10%. They're fine with it.

If I were keeping a species with high humidity requirements, like redfoot tortoises, which require ~70%, then I would keep them in a closed terrarium-type environment that seals in moisture. In that case, misting might be a good idea, although even then it would not be a substitute for a good substrate and water dish.

But with an open enclosure, like for a Russian here in Colorado, I don't think misting does much.

Akronic

5 Year Member
you also gotta be careful if you are running high wattage heat/UV bulbs. cuz if you have them on and you mist near them or some water even a little drop gets on the bulb it could cause it to explode or crack. ive seen them pop befor. luckily that was a lesson i learned from someone elses mistake

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Akronic said:
you also gotta be careful if you are running high wattage heat/UV bulbs. cuz if you have them on and you mist near them or some water even a little drop gets on the bulb it could cause it to explode or crack. ive seen them pop befor. luckily that was a lesson i learned from someone elses mistake

Yeah! My Girlfriend's brother was misting his snake and the bulb exploded! The debris was trapped by the lamp and screen luckily!

Status
Not open for further replies.