Misting/fogger for Egyptians?

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Im curious to hear people’s thoughts and protocols on misting/fogging for Egyptian set ups.

Do foggers work better than misters?

Do you mist/fog a few times a day or just in the morning?

Do you mist/fog the entire enclosure or do you mist/fog into a humid hide?

I have a new set up and the last piece of the puzzle is the misting/fogging aspect.

If you have one installed do you mind please sharing it for some ideas?

IMG_2759.jpgIMG_2725.jpgIMG_2726.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

Salspi

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I had issues with a cool mist fogger in my enclosure with hatchling Kleinmanni. Not sure if it was something weird I did. But, I won’t be trying that again. Just my two cents

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I had issues with a cool mist fogger in my enclosure with hatchling Kleinmanni. Not sure if it was something weird I did. But, I won’t be trying that again. Just my two cents

I’ve learned a lot over the past few weeks. Cliff notes... you want to mimic their natural environment. In the summer it gets really hot and dry during the summer months they avastate. Then when winter comes around you want cold nights 60-70F at night. In the morning turn on the fogger for About 30-60 mins. Then make sure the temps sky rocket up to 85-90 degrees so everything dries out completely. To much moisture and humidity over cold nights cause jaw rot and respiratory issues. The cold dry nights, cool must in the morning and drying out during the day sparks breeding behaviors.

KBeam

Central Illinois
I’ve learned a lot over the past few weeks. Cliff notes... you want to mimic their natural environment. In the summer it gets really hot and dry during the summer months they avastate. Then when winter comes around you want cold nights 60-70F at night. In the morning turn on the fogger for About 30-60 mins. Then make sure the temps sky rocket up to 85-90 degrees so everything dries out completely. To much moisture and humidity over cold nights cause jaw rot and respiratory issues. The cold dry nights, cool must in the morning and drying out during the day sparks breeding behaviors.

Chris Leone has a good explanation on this topic on his Hermanni Haven website.

Salspi

Chicago
Things I learned so far from having hatchlings in an enclosed terrarium:

Keep night time temps around 75 degrees. No reason to go any lower.... My basking spot is 105 ish. They eat less when its lower than that. Hot side temp is 85 ish cool side is 79 ish.

I use extra water dishes and spray bottle to keep humidity between 60-70%. When I used a fogger the enclosure got too wet. My hatchlings had bubbles coming out of their noses. That was enough to freak me out. I will never use a fogger again unless it’s on a tortoise table.

Mine never nibbled on cuttlebone. I now grind up cuttlebone and mazuri together and I sprinkle it on every other feeding ( Ralph Till’s article ). It took a while for one to eat mazuri. The other one ate mazuri on day 1.

It is significantly less stressful for hatchlings if you soak them in their enclosure close to their basking spot. Move very slowly when u pick them up. And, don’t lift them too high. They hate that. There is no reason to lift a hatchling higher than a few inches if you soak them in their enclosure. Don’t stress out hatchlings.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Things I learned so far from having hatchlings in an enclosed terrarium:

Keep night time temps around 75 degrees. No reason to go any lower.... My basking spot is 105 ish. They eat less when its lower than that. Hot side temp is 85 ish cool side is 79 ish.

I use extra water dishes and spray bottle to keep humidity between 60-70%. When I used a fogger the enclosure got too wet. My hatchlings had bubbles coming out of their noses. That was enough to freak me out. I will never use a fogger again unless it’s on a tortoise table.

Mine never nibbled on cuttlebone. I now grind up cuttlebone and mazuri together and I sprinkle it on every other feeding ( Ralph Till’s article ). It took a while for one to eat mazuri. The other one ate mazuri on day 1.

It is significantly less stressful for hatchlings if you soak them in their enclosure close to their basking spot. Move very slowly when u pick them up. And, don’t lift them too high. They hate that. There is no reason to lift a hatchling higher than a few inches if you soak them in their enclosure. Don’t stress out hatchlings.

Good advice. Thanks so much for responding. Would love to discuss in more detail via email. Do you mind emailing me? [email protected].

Salspi

Chicago
I am no pro... this my first pair. I wanted to let you know what I’ve been thru so that you could avoid my mistakes.

There are many more experienced people on here that hopefully will offer advice soon. As far as emailing, it would prob be a good idea to just keep the conversation on the forum. That way people can follow along. We all need to learn as we go.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
@Salspi . You mentioned "Mine never nibbled on cuttlebone. I now grind up cuttlebone and mazuri together and I sprinkle it on every other feeding ( Ralph Till’s article )." Was that an article in Reptiles magazine? I have not been able to find it. Do you have advice on how I could find it? Thank you!

Greetings from cloudy but warm Texas. :)

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
@Salspi . You mentioned "Mine never nibbled on cuttlebone. I now grind up cuttlebone and mazuri together and I sprinkle it on every other feeding ( Ralph Till’s article )." Was that an article in Reptiles magazine? I have not been able to find it. Do you have advice on how I could find it? Thank you!

Greetings from cloudy but warm Texas. :)

I have a copy of the article. I will reach out to Ralph and ask him if it’s okay for me to send it to you, or maybe even better, have him send it to you. What is your email?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I put a small pile of fine grind calcium carbonate in a pile at the edge of the tile I feed them on, they will eat a mouth full at a time, once in awhile.

I have a few soil/substrates for them in a vision 332. Plain decomposed granite (DG), DG mixed with peat, and a pile of cocohusk chucks (small bits) and gravel. I pour water on these substrates and have many magnolia leaves strewn about and long pieces of St Augustine grass. They don't seem to care what the substrate is as long as they can push up under a leaf, or tangle of grass.

I spray with a garden spray every few days the whole of the enclosure, always first thing in the morning. I soak them at least every other day.