Mites on a Russian tortoise

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
I noticed some mite like bugs in the crevices of the shell of my tortoise. They are really small, clear and brown in color. Their legs remind me of those of ticks. He is a few hours a day in his enclosure a couple times a week. I have been soaking him twice a day since he had some bladder stones.

Do they bother my tortoise? What are they? How do I get rid of them?

zovick

10 Year Member!
What about you? @zovick
You may not like the idea, but I always used Hotshot No Pest Strips to get rid of unwanted insects, etc. Just hang one over the tortoise's enclosure or cut a piece of it off and put it in a tightly sealed container with holes in it (to allow the vapor to get out), and put that container right in the enclosure with the tortoise. Use of these strips never harmed my tortoises in any way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019BK8AG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I have to look if I can find that in Finland. If I can't, are there other brands or methods recommended? (Quick check revealed that amazon won't ship it here)

zovick

10 Year Member!
Couldn't find anything with the same ingredient, turns out that ingredient has been banned here in the EU since the 90s.
Sorry to hear that. I don't have any other ideas which will kill the bugs outright like the strips, but you might also try Goldsticks which are long tubes coated with adhesive/glue which traps flies and other bugs if they land on the stick. They come with a smelly "attractant" which is put in a little cup hung under the stick.

Not sure if these would attract your insects or not, nor if the non-flying pests could get near the glue to get stuck in it. They also come in 2 foot lengths.

PoptartTheTort

Kansas
I noticed some mite like bugs in the crevices of the shell of my tortoise. They are really small, clear and brown in color. Their legs remind me of those of ticks. He is a few hours a day in his enclosure a couple times a week. I have been soaking him twice a day since he had some bladder stones.

Get some reptile spray that kills mites, spray directly on tortoise, do not spray in areas mites could be hiding. If your tortoise left food on the ground of your enclosure, clean it up, and make sure you clean the enclosure at least every week if you don’t have a clean up crew in there. Yes, they do bother your tortoise.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Get some reptile spray that kills mites, spray directly on tortoise, do not spray in areas mites could be hiding. If your tortoise left food on the ground of your enclosure, clean it up, and make sure you clean the enclosure at least every week if you don’t have a clean up crew in there. Yes, they do bother your tortoise.
Id run anything by on here first before spraying the tortoise @The_Four_Toed_Edward just to be safe😊

@PoptartTheTort I see you’re new, welcome to the forum! From a fellow red foot owner🥰

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Look at one under a microscope or magnifying glass and count the legs. 8 legs could be a mite, as they are a type of arachnid. 6 legs is an insect and most likely a harmless detrivore.

Outside of the wild, mites on a tortoise is extremely uncommon. Ticks too. Unless you live in Florida. Then anything is possible, if not probable.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Look at one under a microscope or magnifying glass and count the legs. 8 legs could be a mite, as they are a type of arachnid. 6 legs is an insect and most likely a harmless detrivore.

Outside of the wild, mites on a tortoise is extremely uncommon. Ticks too. Unless you live in Florida. Then anything is possible, if not probable.
Next time I see one I will try to look at it under my siblings children's microscope. I thought that it would be mites since their legs seem to be coming from the front of the bug, like a tick or a mite. But they are so small I can't say for sure how many legs they have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is one I caught. It looks like it has 8 legs, looks very much like a tick but it is less than 1mm big. What do you think? @Tom View attachment 375112
The picture is blurry, but I'm pretty sure I am counting 8 legs there.

Due to the rarity of this happening over here, I really don't have any experience treating mites on a tortoise. They are common on snakes here, and we have a variety of ways to treat the snake and the environment, but I don't know if those chemicals are safe for tortoises or not.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I was sitting on our lawn and several started crawling on my hands. Could they be nympf or larva ticks? It would explain the amount and then being outside. Edward probably got them from his outdoor enclosure no matter what they are.

I am open to any opinions on what these are and what to do.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I was sitting on our lawn and several started crawling on my hands. Could they be nympf or larva ticks? It would explain the amount and then being outside. Edward probably got them from his outdoor enclosure no matter what they are.

It does look like a tick to me. Have you found any attached to yourself or your tortoise? If so, they would most likely be engorged with blood shortly after becoming attached.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Most ticks and mites are very host specific. It may be that a batch of them hatched outside and are looking for the appropriate host. Whether or not you or your tortoise can be an appropriate host for this species of mite or tick, I do not know.

If this were happening to me, I would call a reptile vet and ask what pesticides are safe to use on a tortoise, and then I'd treat the animal and the environment. It MIGHT be the case that mite treatments for snakes are also safe for tortoises, but I would not assume that without asking. Over here we have a host of different sprays and products that can be applied onto a snake to treat mites. @zovick had good results with the "No Pest Strips", but that appears to not be an option for you over there. You'll have to do some research to find out what is safe, effective, and available in your country.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It does look like a tick to me. Have you found any attached to yourself or your tortoise? If so, they would most likely be engorged with blood shortly after becoming attached.
Haven't seen any attached to me or my tortoise, but I have had some previous years, plus I saw two adults in our garden earlier this year. I also know that the neighbors dog has had some.

Based on the size they are probably larvae. We have two tick species here, and both of their larvae usually feed on rodents or small birds. I don't think that this fully closes off the chance of one of them latching on Edward. Are the diseases carried by ticks transferred to tortoises?

Also, since they come from outside I am not sure how effective the treatment will be, but I will do some more research. So far I found that cyfluthrin, which has proven to be effective with reptiles, is also banned here. https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_eradicating_tick_infestations_on_reptiles