Moisture sensor/automatic misting?

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Ok,so I just turned 15 and have been taking some different engineering n robotics courses n the past 2 years,but recently I've really gotten into alot of arduino projects. Mostly because I can do most of the projects and programming at home :p Anyways for my birthday I got ALOT of suppplies and I was wondering if It would be ok to to make an automatic misting system? Would put moisture sensors (homemade ) in the substrate,like if I put them in some sort of casing? I think i used an acrylic casing or something for the sensors in oour automatic mini garden ,but instead of misting, the sensors and temp sensors were conneced to arduino board n a small pump (it's a really small garden) it's programmed it to check soil moisture content every 30 minutes. I love creating these arduino projects, but would it be safe? Or should I just invest In one of those reptifogger,or I know there's a few other kinds I just can't remember.? He has a water dish that I constantly cleaning because he burrys it in the substrate. I just wanna make sure he's happy and it stays pretty humid in there without having to go up n spray it every 20 minutes lol

Attachments

• 1429856863815.jpg
    1429856863815.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 24

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
As long as there's not a shock hazard I would think it's a good idea . Looking at your picture the thermometer that you have in the enclosure sucks . They are almost never right . Get you a digital one . They cost around ten bucks .

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The automated misting system sounds like a really cool project. As you sulcata gets bigger and requires a much larger indoor enclosure during the Illinois winter it could have a real valuable application. In your current enclosure, completely covering the top, creating a closed chamber environment, would increase the humidity and reduce some of the need for spraying every 20 minutes. In the photo your substrate looks dry. It might just be the top layer that is dry. Keeping it moist and closing the top of the enclosure will increase the humidity. It is still a good idea to spray the shell several times a day. Covering the top of the enclosure, including the light and heat sources, will also hold in heat, so you will need to have a thermostat to avoid over heating the chamber. When my sulcata was the size of yours I had a set up similar to yours. Once I covered the top I could see moisture condensation on the glass sides. I didn't need a retifogger or other system to keep the humidity at a very high level.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
I have a digital one too but it's set up under the basking area, I really need to to get more than one lol. And yes the top dries out rather quickly (hence the constant misting )trust me the underneath is really moist . We're in the process of building a much bigger enclosure for him in an unused finished and insulated room downstairs. But my dad was helping me but he left . I haven't seen or heard from him in months so I'm having to finish it myself but it's taking alot longer. My friends coming over (she loves donny and is going to take care and look after him tonight while I finish soldering and checking for bugs :/ it's slow progress but i can't wait til it's done. I just hope he'll really like it

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
:p we built the outdoor enclosure for him but the weathers been so crazy I can't take him out. Last Tuesday it was sunny and 85° F then on Wednesday , it was 32° and snowing (Yes it's some freaky weather here) I think my mum wants to move back to Arizona. I can understand why... Maybe we can see if our old house is still for sale :p