What to make outdoor enclosure out of?

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Lately I've been busy with college classes but this semester most of my classes are at night. So I'll have more time to finish building his enclosures. But I'm no longer living at my dads house,and he was the one with all the knowledge and helping me build Donatello's new enclosure..

I was wondering if I can build part of the outdoor enclosure enclosure out of wood. Our neighbors all use chemicals n try green n stuff so I'm afraid to let him eat the grass in our yard. I have a 5' × 7' garden on our deck filled with oat n wheat grass,orchard grass,white russian kale,dinosaur kale n collard greens .

I was wondering if I could maybe build an enclosure off of that, so that he can just eat what he wants and graze as he pleases during the day. Donatello is still relatively small, so he would only be in the outdoor enclosure during the day,and only while supervised. At night he'll be in his indoor enclosure..

But whats the best thing to build it out of? Can i still use wood? Can I use anything to treat it? Or should it be OK outside? I don't know much about wood or anything ,tbh I work with electronics and engineering. So I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. Sorry this is so long,its just I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first enclosures were built out of cinder blocks. Eventually I changed them all out for wooden fences. I like the corral boards because they're 16' long and three or four of them high make a nice barrier for the tortoises. I put down rectangular cement stepping stones, then stack the wood up from that, nailing them to 4x4 posts set in the ground.

Russian Yard 4-4-12 b.jpg

(early morning and taking the sun!!)

It's hard to see, but he's sitting on the cement.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I use a large kitty pool that I put on a table for outside time. Has soil hide outs and shaded spots. Plus I put a weeds mix that growing out nicely in it.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Thanks , we have lots of rectangular cement stepping stones. And a kiddy pool we don't use anymore. I'll have to try those. Thank you. Oh and Donatello's about 6" or so.. He's still pretty small