Molasses & Agave Nectar

Status
Not open for further replies.

robopeen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
I noticed that Mazuri has some molasses today so I looked it up and most people agree it is there to tempt the tortoises into eating it. I also am going to pick up some Zoomed Grassland for some extra fiber but I hear a lot of tortoises will bypass that stuff and not even bother with it.

Because agave nectar has a low glycemic index and agave is okay for tortoises would a little drop of nectar mixed into some moistened Grassland be bad for my tortoise? I would assume if molasses is okay that a little nectar would be fine too.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't think it would be terrible but I'd try introducing your tortoise to the Zoo Med Grassland diet a couple times before adding anything to it. Your tort may like it as is.

My four redfoots enthusiastically eat Mazuri and Zoo Med Forest Tortoise Diet with nothing added. I think it's because I introduced a lot of food items to them when they were young - not sure how old your Hermann's is...

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm not sure using either is good because of the sugar content. But I'm no expert. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along. I just wanted to point out the sugar issue.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Spn785 said:
I'm not sure using either is good because of the sugar content. But I'm no expert. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along. I just wanted to point out the sugar issue.

Exactly. Too much sugar can unbalance things. Is go with trying the zoomed additive free first. Cactus juice and diced cactus pieces placed within it would be a great idea without worry.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Excess sugars can result in parasite blooms, especially for Testudo species that rarely eat sugary fruits. I provide my redfoots low-sugar fruits 1/week for this reason and sugary fruits (like papaya, strawberries, etc.) once ever couple weeks. I agree with Spn785 and Kelly.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
tortadise said:
Spn785 said:

Exactly. Too much sugar can unbalance things. Is go with trying the zoomed additive free first. Cactus juice and diced cactus pieces placed within it would be a great idea without worry.

Cactus is going to be my first add in if my tortoise doesn't take to it at first. She's kind of a pig so I really doubt I need to worry but I like having back up plans.

Redstrike said:
I don't think it would be terrible but I'd try introducing your tortoise to the Zoo Med Grassland diet a couple times before adding anything to it. Your tort may like it as is.

My four redfoots enthusiastically eat Mazuri and Zoo Med Forest Tortoise Diet with nothing added. I think it's because I introduced a lot of food items to them when they were young - not sure how old your Hermann's is...

She's nearing nine months old. She LOVES mazuri, even when I mix in some TNT and calcium powder (w/o D). I figure I will probably mix the mazuri and grassland first and then if she won't eat it branch out to different things.

Spn785 said:

The sugar thing has me worried too. I definitely wouldn't add agave nectar to the mazuri since it already has the molasses in it.

Redstrike said:
Excess sugars can result in parasite blooms, especially for Testudo species that rarely eat sugary fruits. I provide my redfoots low-sugar fruits 1/week for this reason and sugary fruits (like papaya, strawberries, etc.) once ever couple weeks. I agree with Spn785 and Kelly.

Yeah, that's not an option with my Hermann's and I can't mix in any weeds or grasses to entice her because she prefers mazuri over anything fresh.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Mazuri should not be given daily, maybe twice a week at most because of the protein, tortoises need some protein, but the Testudo species doesn't need much. I would stop offering Mazuri regularly and only offer fresh weeds for a few days.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Redstrike said:

I think I may have been misunderstood here...I'm saying you shouldn't be increasing sugars in your Testudo species' diet.

I also agree that Mazuri on a daily basis is unnecessary, but others will contend this viewpoint.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
The reason Mazuri uses molasses is as a binder. Without it, the pellets would fall apart.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
yagyujubei said:
The reason Mazuri uses molasses is as a binder. Without it, the pellets would fall apart.

Ahhh, I see. I thought they used that to entice the tortoise! Lol, now this whole thread is pointless for Testudos. I suppose it could work for Redfoots but you could mix any fruit mash for them instead.

Spn785 said:
Mazuri should not be given daily, maybe twice a week at most because of the protein, tortoises need some protein, but the Testudo species doesn't need much. I would stop offering Mazuri regularly and only offer fresh weeds for a few days.

I only offer it once or twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.