Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
NEtorts said:
I got a 2lb bag from a meber here on TFO....tried it a couple times, torts seem to like it alright but they always went for the greens and veggies first.....it kinda smells a bit.......also noticed it spoiled quickly after weting it......the torts knda walked through it and thats not to sanitary...

Yeah, it can be messy. That is a drawback. I feed it to mine in the morning and then pull the trays and soak the torts after feeding on those days. Most days I soak first and then feed. After about 6 hours in the heat and humidity, I too noticed a funny smell from it, but now I just feed as much as I think they will eat and then pull the trays after a few hours. My roach colonies sure like any leftovers and they don't care how long it sits. :D

Ole, I hear where you are coming from, and everything you said makes logical sense. I primarily use weeds and grasses too. I supplement with all sorts of other good stuff too, like mulberry, hibiscus, grape and rose of sharon leaves, spineless cactus, and several succulents.

Like you, this issue was very black and white for me. But I couldn't argue with the results I was seeing in other people's torts. I tried it myself, somewhat reluctantly, and now I can't argue with the positive results I see in my own herds.

I raised lots of healthy torts before I ever used Mazuri, so I completely agree with you that Mazuri is NOT necessary. I don't think its a complete diet or substitute for real weeds and greens either. I merely look at it as a means of giving my torts a "multi-vitamin". Like I said before. Cheap insurance.

Now I don't want to derail NETorts thread, but I'd love to see pics of YOUR torts and set ups. I'd really love to see how you do it in Denmark.

ONielsen

5 Year Member
Hi Tom
Glad to hear ... Im not the only one :)
But I do know that it sometimes can be hard to find weeds enough, esp. in the spring.
I do use limited amount of some grass pellets in early spring , compressed thing from Germany and with high fiber and low protein.
Ill try find some pics and put them in the pic section somewhere.

EDIT pics posted now
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-my-hobby#axzz1HuMn4aXx

Tom said:
NEtorts said:
I got a 2lb bag from a meber here on TFO....tried it a couple times, torts seem to like it alright but they always went for the greens and veggies first.....it kinda smells a bit.......also noticed it spoiled quickly after weting it......the torts knda walked through it and thats not to sanitary...

Yeah, it can be messy. That is a drawback. I feed it to mine in the morning and then pull the trays and soak the torts after feeding on those days. Most days I soak first and then feed. After about 6 hours in the heat and humidity, I too noticed a funny smell from it, but now I just feed as much as I think they will eat and then pull the trays after a few hours. My roach colonies sure like any leftovers and they don't care how long it sits. :D

Ole, I hear where you are coming from, and everything you said makes logical sense. I primarily use weeds and grasses too. I supplement with all sorts of other good stuff too, like mulberry, hibiscus, grape and rose of sharon leaves, spineless cactus, and several succulents.

Like you, this issue was very black and white for me. But I couldn't argue with the results I was seeing in other people's torts. I tried it myself, somewhat reluctantly, and now I can't argue with the positive results I see in my own herds.

I raised lots of healthy torts before I ever used Mazuri, so I completely agree with you that Mazuri is NOT necessary. I don't think its a complete diet or substitute for real weeds and greens either. I merely look at it as a means of giving my torts a "multi-vitamin". Like I said before. Cheap insurance.

Now I don't want to derail NETorts thread, but I'd love to see pics of YOUR torts and set ups. I'd really love to see how you do it in Denmark.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ONielsen said:
Never used it and never will.

Note!

Crude protein not less than.......................15.0% !!

Regards
Ole Nielsen
Med keeper/breeder

GBtortoises said:
Many people do not feed Mazuri as a staple, but feed it once or twice a week in addition to a staple diet of greens. Mazuri does have alot of questionable ingredients in it and according to the company's own ingredient values, 15% protein
GBtortoises said:
. I've only been using it for about two years, once a .....

We never feed any of our hatchlings Mazuri and they grow healthy and smooth. Here is one that we held back almost a year.

4ka9uf.jpg

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
With or without mazuri I have had success. I prefer to use it as a supplement to make sure my tortoises are getting their vitamins/minerals. I feed over 50 different kinds of plants....maybe even over 75, so the mazuri isn't used all the time.

EJ has had success feeding strictly mazuri, but that doesn't seem like anything I want to do.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am not so much worried about trying to talk people 'into' Mazuri or other prepared chows as I am trying to help people realize that it is a valid option. A lot of people argue against a lot of perfectly good food options- sometimes for no real reason.

Is Mazuri, etc. NEEDED in a diet? Heck no. If your tortoise has access to a good selection of foods, graze, etc. then you absolutely don't need it.

Can Mazuri, etc. be a valuable part of a properly managed diet? Certainly! Especially for those of us with short summers or more limited access to a healthy variety of foods.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Madkins007 said:
I am not so much worried about trying to talk people 'into' Mazuri or other prepared chows as I am trying to help people realize that it is a valid option. A lot of people argue against a lot of perfectly good food options- sometimes for no real reason.

Is Mazuri, etc. NEEDED in a diet? Heck no. If your tortoise has access to a good selection of foods, graze, etc. then you absolutely don't need it.

Can Mazuri, etc. be a valuable part of a properly managed diet? Certainly! Especially for those of us with short summers or more limited access to a healthy variety of foods.

Very well written Mark. Great points. And to add to your thoughts there, those of us with really long summers can benefit from it too because all the graze dries up and withers away by about June here.

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Laveen, AZ
Tom said:
My roach colonies sure like any leftovers and they don't care how long it sits. :D

I donno Tom, I'd be leery feeding mazuri to your roach colonies...risky...probably way to high in protien, they don't eat manufactured pellets soaked in water normally in the wild...:p ...(JK) lol...couldn't help myself.

Consider this...many people use health shakes to supplement their diet and fitness regimen. They do this to be sure to receive enough of the nutrients their body needs...yet these shakes are not "natural" or made with a majority of natural ingredients. I'm sure there could be negative long term effects if I composed 90% of my diet with health shakes for a few years, perhaps diabetes or digestive issues among other problems...Now if I supplement 1 or 2 health shakes once a day for the rest of my life I actually might benefit long term from the surplus nutrients provided by these shakes. I consider mazuri to be equivalent of a health shake for my tortoises. They love it and by all of my accounts thrive when it is part of a balanced diet.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I never heard of Mazuri until i found this site and I am always looking for new things to add to my torts diet. I think its good to have a varity in what they are eating. I had my local feed store order me some and I will find out soon if Vegas likes it.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Madkins007 said:

Great position.

samstar

5 Year Member
The Zoos have been feeding torts with Mazuri for over 15 years already with no side effects, isn't that enough proof that it works well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greg Knoell said:
Tom said:
My roach colonies sure like any leftovers and they don't care how long it sits. :D

I donno Tom, I'd be leery feeding mazuri to your roach colonies...risky...probably way to high in protien, they don't eat manufactured pellets soaked in water normally in the wild...:p ...(JK) lol...couldn't help myself.

Consider this...many people use health shakes to supplement their diet and fitness regimen. They do this to be sure to receive enough of the nutrients their body needs...yet these shakes are not "natural" or made with a majority of natural ingredients. I'm sure there could be negative long term effects if I composed 90% of my diet with health shakes for a few years, perhaps diabetes or digestive issues among other problems...Now if I supplement 1 or 2 health shakes once a day for the rest of my life I actually might benefit long term from the surplus nutrients provided by these shakes. I consider mazuri to be equivalent of a health shake for my tortoises. They love it and by all of my accounts thrive when it is part of a balanced diet.

Your first paragraph made me laugh. I thought the second paragraph was a very good analogy. That pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
samstar said:
The Zoos have been feeding torts with Mazuri for over 15 years already with no side effects, isn't that enough proof that it works well?

Yes, I was watching a documentary on green sea turtles (you may have seen it). At the sea turtle farms they were feeding them mazuri and squid! As soon as they packed on some weight they were released into the wild. In a way mazuri is helping to replenish the endangered populations....which makes sense because mazuri is known for quick growth rates.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
When we purchased one of our large male aldabras from a zoo (should not say where), they were feeding them onions and eggplant in old tires. Made me sick, I wish they would have fed Mazuri! (I actually have pictures of that day, probably should not post them)!

samstar

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
When we purchased one of our large male aldabras from a zoo (should not say where), they were feeding them onions and eggplant in old tires. Made me sick, I wish they would have fed Mazuri! (I actually have pictures of that day, probably should not post them)!

How do you feed torts onions? You serious?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
samstar said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Yes, We were so upset. When we arrived at our place, it was dark. The next day he browsed non stop, like he was in heaven! They housed them in pure sand, no grass at all and fed them in old truck tires. They had other things also, the onions and eggplant stood out! It has been m,any of years ago, now he is our biggest male and in heaven!

mmefs5.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ALDABRAMAN said:
samstar said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Yes, We were so upset. When we arrived at our place, it was dark. The next day he browsed non stop, like he was in heaven! They housed them in pure sand, no grass at all and fed them in old truck tires. They had other things also, the onions and eggplant stood out! It has been m,any of years ago, now he is our biggest male and in heaven!

mmefs5.jpg

Wow, he is a very nice looking guy!!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dalano73 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
samstar said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

mmefs5.jpg

Wow, he is a very nice looking guy!!!

I had to add a third layer of 2x10x10's because he climber over and destroyed most of the areca palms! Well worth it, he is wonderful!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I just noticed mazuri has their own banner ad on this forum....pretty cool. I clicked on it to support them

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
Hi All,
I received my first order of 2lbs bag Mazuri yesterday from Gus/Cory. I was excited to serve it to Hemet and Murrieta to see if they would eat it. I soaked 2 pellets with warm water then spread it on top of a baby bokchoy leaf...boy, they ate almost all of it. Is one pellet of Mazuri every day with their greens for each hatchling (22 weeks old) too much? Or if I feed them twice a week, how many pellet should I be giving to each hatchling? Thanks in advance for your input.

Marcel

samstar

5 Year Member
Feed them how much they can finish in 5-10 minutes, that's what I remember reading somewhere, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.