mold problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have a question about growing the weeds if anyone can help me with...

I was growing some dandelion in an extra large plastic storage box. I wet the soil (MiracleGrow organic soil) and then I sprinkled the seeds on the surface, and then I slightly cover the lid back on to the box (didn't lock the lid) to keep the soil moistured. A couple days later, I found there were some white stuff growing on the surface, and it kinda spread all over the place within a couple days, so I assume that might be mold growing?

Even though the dandelion seemed to grow fine with the weird white stuff in there, I decided to toss the whole box of soil and start it over again.

I used the same box but I put a new bag of soil (same kind) in there, and then sprinkled weeds seeds in there. This time I didn't cover the lid and the weeds sprouted fine. But two weeks after, I found the white stuff growing in there again! :( The weeds didn't seem to be effected by the white mold-looking stuff, but I'm just worried.... can I still feed the weeds to my tortoise? Or I should just toss everything and get a new box and start over again?

Thank you very much for reading the story. Please let me know if you have ideas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its just that you were keeping it too wet. No need to worry about it. Let it air out and dry out and the mold will die off.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I just started growing some too. I did a little searching on the internet and found that you do not need to cover them with soil as they need light to germinate. Every few days I sprinkle a few more seeds in the pot. So far so good. The first few times didn't work. Try to let yours dry out a bit, and don't cover them with soil. Good luck I hope they grow good for you!!

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Thank you for the suggestions! I didn't cover them with soil either and they are growing fine. I'll stop watering them for a couple days and hopefully the mold stuff would go away!! fingers crossed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.